Battery Hen Thread!

My nephew dropped out of cub scouts because the other kids were bullying him (where was the scout leader?) So, we're going to have him over one night a week to help us prepare the yard for the chookies. There is a lot of work to do still, and we're hoping building something from start to finish, taking care of animals and learning to use tools will give him a boost of confidence. You know, what was supposed to happen in scouts...
Thats ridiculous! It should never have got to the point of him wanting to leave. Hope your pen plans go well!

Thats ridiculous! It should never have got to the point of him wanting to leave. Hope your pen plans go well!

Thanks. He's very sweet, it makes it easy for other kids to torment them because he's so forgiving.

We're hoping he'll get learn enough that his mum will be more comfortable about getting a dog; he desperately wants a pet. We've warned him though that the hens might be unwell when they arrive, or even very sick.

I got 'em! They managed to have most of their feathers. We got 12. They are beautiful! All of them are Leghorns. The man who brought them out of the shed is clearly a terrible person. He brought them out by their legs. All the hens have poop on their buts due to the conditions they are kept in. I think some of the hens may have broken or sprained wings. Now, picture time (the names are on the pictures, only some have names though)

I got 'em! They managed to have most of their feathers. We got 12. They are beautiful! All of them are Leghorns. The man who brought them out of the shed is clearly a terrible person. He brought them out by their legs. All the hens have poop on their buts due to the conditions they are kept in. I think some of the hens may have broken or sprained wings. Now, picture time (the names are on the pictures, only some have names though)
Beautiful. :thumbsup for rescuing them! I want to get more battery hens, but I have no more room :(.

Thanks. He's very sweet, it makes it easy for other kids to torment them because he's so forgiving.

We're hoping he'll get learn enough that his mum will be more comfortable about getting a dog; he desperately wants a pet. We've warned him though that the hens might be unwell when they arrive, or even very sick.
Keep us updated with the progress of them :)

Great!! So glad you got some. The white ones are usually more skitterish than the brown ones, so you might have to handle them a bit. If you ever need any help with anything feel free to ask, but I think you probably know most of it now :). Well done!

Great!! So glad you got some. The white ones are usually more skitterish than the brown ones, so you might have to handle them a bit. If you ever need any help with anything feel free to ask, but I think you probably know most of it now :). Well done!
Yes, they are very scared/skittish. Though they wouldn't have been as sacred as they were yesterday if the man didn't have to carry 'em by the legs. Chickens hate being hung upside down. Anyway, one of the girls laid an egg. The white egg is from one of the ex battery hens.

Yes, they are very scared/skittish. Though they wouldn't have been as sacred as they were yesterday if the man didn't have to carry 'em by the legs. Chickens hate being hung upside down. Anyway, one of the girls laid an egg. The white egg is from one of the ex battery hens.
Mine were carried out the shed by their legs. It wasn't nice!

I found 10 eggs from the Leghorns
ep.gif

Back
Top Bottom