Battery Hen Thread!

No apology needed when you say designed rather than evolved it gives a different meaning. Ive come to this conclusion of battery chickens there are 13 Billion chickens est. in the world and if these ladies reallywant ti help hey would focus their efforts on the endangered heritage chickens if they have redeeming qualities in the breed Everyone needs a hobby tho Just keeping you thinking
X2 although saving battery hens is still very credible they are in no risk of extinction.

Hello! I am was planning on getting some battery hens, but one of my friends ( who has chickens) told me that they would be a lot harder to take care of. I know about feeding them and extra protection... What do I need to know? She also said they would end up costing A LOT more than other chickens?
Thank you!
~emma p

Hello! I am was planning on getting some battery hens, but one of my friends ( who has chickens) told me that they would be a lot harder to take care of. I know about feeding them and extra protection... What do I need to know? She also said they would end up costing A LOT more than other chickens?
Thank you!
~emma p
Sorry, but none of that is true at all. My ex batts are always treat like normal hens. The biggest change they have from my other girls is Growers Pellets for the extra protein and scrambled egg if they are bald. The only thing extra they may need compared to your other girls is TLC. They also don't need extra protection. Just treat them like the other girls once they have settled in. If they come in good condition, give them layers mash for like 2 days then gradually mix in pellets if thats what you feed to avoid sour/impacted crop. Honestly once you have had them for a couple of month you will probably forget they were ever battery hens! Get some, it's so rewarding. And also my pure breeds cost like £30 and my ex batts cost me £1. Not all my pure breeds live and think how much they cost compared to that. Any other questions, feel free to ask!

Add on: I don't usually switch to growers. I just give scrambled eggs and mealworms. If you have quite a lot of eggs then you wont feel like its a loss scrambling up a couple every day as a treat for them!

Last edited:
Had to share this with you all. An ex batt rescue I know went to get some barn girls and have emptied the whole barn! :)
1779943_620585074686842_2033697123_n.jpg

Next week is coop-building week! The side yard is still full of rubble from the neighbor's collapsed wall, and them behind us still haven't repaired the fence - but, coop-building time has been booked for months. We must go forward, and at least do our bits. I've been building a new predator proof gate, to replace the spindly picket gate. It was always going to have to be taken down - it was nowhere near strong or tall enough - but then the wind ripped it right out of the wall anyway!

Back
Top Bottom