Battling Extreme Desert Heat

Mutt Farm

Songster
Jul 2, 2015
Inland Empire Southern California
Hello from So California! Living close to Palm Springs, extreme DRY heat is a constant. 95-108 isn't rare. I was hoping to start a thread specific to HOT arid conditions and chicken keeping during a drought. Keeping happy chickens. I'm envious of foliage and green grasses and the bugs. Other than an occasional ant or earwig, we have no bugs. Even our weeds die by May. We are on severe water restrictions due to extreme drought, so misters aren't an option. This is my first year with chickens. I'm using frozen water bottles and a fan, shade. Cold fruit. I'm a prisoner to the farm when it's hot. I hope folks have great ideas on how to keep the ladies cool and how to provide greens and bugs and stuff without this being a full time job. Surely there are others struggling with this?

What I've been doing, and it's working pretty well, is attack it on a couple of fronts.

First, feed wet/fermented higher protein feed. I take whole bags of Turkey grower/game bird feed and cover it with water. Within a day or so it "sours" and the chickens love it. They go nuts as soon as I open the barrel because they can smell it (and it does smell). For extra essential oils and vitamins I add in bird seed, which they also love. They extra water in the feed makes dealing with the heat easier on them, and the higher protein makes up for a lack of bugs and things to forage. You may want to ferment smaller batches; you'll want to go through a batch within two weeks.

Second, on the subject of green stuff, I do keep a bale of alfalfa in the run. It last a couple of months, keeps them busy, and provides them with the greens they lack in the desert.

Third, definitely shade. I cannot believe what a difference it makes for them. My runs always have a solid fence to the south to help with shade, then I take pallets and lean them up against the fence. I weave empty feed bags through the bars and they have more shade to get under if they need to.

Fourth, provide them with a shallow pool to dip their feet in if possible. They can cool down quickly by wetting their feet. I place rocks in my little kiddie pool for them to stand on and I see them use it all the time.

Fifth, misters. In the dry desert heat, a little mister system can work wonders and bring down the temps on the hottest days.

Sixth, wet ground. In the morning before it gets really hot on those days that I know will be difficult, I make sure to really soak the ground under the pallets and in other areas where they hang out in the shade. They will dig down to get to cooler dirt and this helps tremendously. They can deal with the heat as long as they can get to cooler ground.

So I hope this helps! I just this summer implemented most of these things and I'm happy with how well they've been doing...including laying regularly...even in the heat. Hubby to install misters soon...

If you have any condos, trailer parks or town houses in your area, perhaps you can ask the maintenance manager if you could hand out compost bags (if that isn't already done in your area). Perhaps you can think of an incentive like giving away a dozen eggs from time to time. Your chickens will love the compost and it will attract bugs. The downside is that you will have to pick it up regularly before the garbage man gets to it.
Alternatively you can befriend the produce manager at your local grocery store and find out when they set out their spoiling produce.

What I've been doing, and it's working pretty well, is attack it on a couple of fronts.

First, feed wet/fermented higher protein feed. I take whole bags of Turkey grower/game bird feed and cover it with water. Within a day or so it "sours" and the chickens love it. They go nuts as soon as I open the barrel because they can smell it (and it does smell). For extra essential oils and vitamins I add in bird seed, which they also love. They extra water in the feed makes dealing with the heat easier on them, and the higher protein makes up for a lack of bugs and things to forage. You may want to ferment smaller batches; you'll want to go through a batch within two weeks.

Second, on the subject of green stuff, I do keep a bale of alfalfa in the run. It last a couple of months, keeps them busy, and provides them with the greens they lack in the desert.

Third, definitely shade. I cannot believe what a difference it makes for them. My runs always have a solid fence to the south to help with shade, then I take pallets and lean them up against the fence. I weave empty feed bags through the bars and they have more shade to get under if they need to.

Fourth, provide them with a shallow pool to dip their feet in if possible. They can cool down quickly by wetting their feet. I place rocks in my little kiddie pool for them to stand on and I see them use it all the time.

Fifth, misters. In the dry desert heat, a little mister system can work wonders and bring down the temps on the hottest days.

Sixth, wet ground. In the morning before it gets really hot on those days that I know will be difficult, I make sure to really soak the ground under the pallets and in other areas where they hang out in the shade. They will dig down to get to cooler dirt and this helps tremendously. They can deal with the heat as long as they can get to cooler ground.

So I hope this helps! I just this summer implemented most of these things and I'm happy with how well they've been doing...including laying regularly...even in the heat. Hubby to install misters soon...
AWESOME SUGGESTIONS!

I put about 4 bushels a week of fresh grass clippings in the pen for them... The chickens used to run away from the mower when it came close. Now they run right up to the fence when I drive the big noisy machine up next to the fence.. They also just sit down in the clipping after they get their fill...probably cooler since there's still dew on the grass a little. But those clipping when dry are light..and would be all up in the "pool"..using plastic bags is out..I would have to empty it every couple days..probably not for the chickens...but for my own preferences..But that's a good idea for a temp pool for a tractor type setup.. I'll just spray them a cool off spot when it's so hot...and since I'm going right by Fred's or Sollar Store I will pick one up tomorrow.. It's goin fishin time for me..lol

Yes, you want to feed something other than layer feed to birds that aren't laying yet because of the calcium in lay feed. It's bad for kidneys if they aren't laying. I feed it to all my chickens because I hatch out a lot and a higher protein feed = higher quality eggs. I just throw oyster shell into the run for their shells, as that's the only thing the turkey grower feed is missing. And yes on wild bird seed! I don't use a lot but they go crazy for it.

Understand. One more question please? Do I add the wild bird seed to the fermenting feed or throw it separate? I've not started lay mash yet, un-med gro feed. Oyster shell in a dish. You have been so helpful!
You are very welcome! It's amazing to me how much I've learned since getting chickens for the second time last September, they are my new obsession. I'm happy to pass it all on.

I like to add birdseed in, but I find it irritating how a couple of birds will scratch through the feed to find EVERY seed, throwing the fermented stuff everywhere, lol. That food does get eaten by the chicks lower on the totem pole, so I can't complain too much, but if there is one reason I would stop adding it directly to the other feed for fermenting, it would be that.

Also, your grow feed might be fine for fermenting too. Crumble or mash works fine. You just want to have anywhere from 20% to 26% protein. It sounds like a lot compared to layer feed, but it will help them keep their feathers healthy and it reduces the stress of laying. Plus if you add in bird seed that reduces the overall protein content of your feed since it's relatively low in protein.

Fantastic advice! I've been boiling some garden squash for them as I have time and they get my split tomatoes . Freeze dried meal worms for treats to tame them. My garden is burnt toast, done for the year (thanks water restrictions) so this new diet is just in time! I'm completely obsessed, but need to make this hobby less of a burden. I want to do right by them. Your experience raising chickens in our climate is invaluable to me! Wishing you gobs of huge eggs and healthy chickens!

A small kitty litter pan works great for a chicken wading pool. Don't bother cooking the veggies. They like them just as much raw and why turn the stove and heat up the house? Throw the tomatoes in the freezer. Add all your kitchen scraps and feed them frozen blocks for a late afternoon snack. You can even freeze the fermented feed. If you home brew, spent grains freeze well.

Really hot today. My girls were looking miserable. I couldn't find a suitable container for a kiddie pool. So i dug a hole in the run. (Approx 3x4ft) lined it with an extra shower liner. Put sone branches and rocks around the edges. Added a couple buckets of water and a frozen water bottle. Also a concrete block in the center. Its a hillbilly swimming pool!

In case you decide to try it, here is what I learned...
Make sure you hide all the edges. Chickens are dumb and they believe everything is edible. They started eating the edges of the liner.
They do not understand the concept of a pool. They will look at you like you've lost your mind. After a couple hours I sat one of the girls at the edge and splashed water on her feet. Then slowly put her in the water. The flew outta there in a hurry. In the process she punctured the liner with her toenail. So use something really heavy duty.

I figure if I can keep some water in it whatever breeze they get will cross cold water and cool the air. Better than nothing.

Also if they don't start laying better or they die in the heat since they won't use their new pool I already have a mass grave partially dug. ;) just trying to see the glass half full.

You and me both, sister. Except we would probably head north to Idaho. CA eats its young.
YES IT DOES @magdelaine ! Well put! Love farm country Idaho, but too chilly for this old girl. I've been looking hard, as we're outta here in 2 yrs. Researching best places to retire, Boise ID is on the list! Researching worst places, Ca is #2, only behind New York. I gotta go.

Back
Top Bottom