How hot is too hot for my Cornish Cross birds?

I'm sorry, but why are you keeping them to this point? I know you love them but they aren't meant to last past 10 weeks or so.

If you don't eat chicken, can you give them to someone who does? It's not fair to keep them much longer especially as summer approaches.

No offense intended - just my thoughts.
When emotions over rule reality.

Wow, Jeff, that's mean.

If you look at the posts here, you'll see that I didn't understand what these birds suffer. I don't eat meat of any kind, and they were given to me, so I had no idea. My heart is soft, and I find them very sweet. I love all my birds. I was hoping to give them a long life until the other members here educated me about this breed. You will further find that I am making arrangements to have them dispatched humanely as soon as they get to the point where they have no quality of life.

Maybe don't be so judgmental and unkind until you know the whole story.

Everyone is new once. Not everyone starts off thinking of chickens as livestock. The transition from pet to livestock can be very difficult and emotionally fraught for some folks, and some people are never able to or desire to make that transition. We've given OP our thoughts of how this might realistically go, and she's chosen to treat her meat birds as pets. If I was brand new to chickens, I might have made the same choice regarding an accidental meat bird. Now, after a year of owning chickens, and having processed a batch of meat birds, I would make a different one, but I can respect OP's right to choose differently than I would now. Some things, once you gain experience with them, you see them differently. Folks say CX grow quickly and not to keep them past 8 weeks, and I believed this when folks told me, but until I raised a batch myself, I didn't fully understand why.

Thank you FunClucks for your input regarding this harsh post. I appreciate you coming to my defense. And you are right...I didn't understand until other members here educated me about this poor breed.

If you read all of my posts, you will see that I have not chosen to keep them any longer than is humane, and am making arrangements to have them humanely dispatched. They are 9 weeks now, so I imagine that will be very soon.

Thank you FunClucks for your input regarding this harsh post. I appreciate you coming to my defense. And you are right...I didn't understand until other members here educated me about this poor breed.

If you read all of my posts, you will see that I have not chosen to keep them any longer than is humane, and am making arrangements to have them humanely dispatched. They are 9 weeks now, so I imagine that will be very soon.
It sucks that your beloved pets turned out to be meat birds! That's just a sad situation, and I think you're doing the best you can with it.

Reality often is harsh....
Too many people have been isolated from the circle of life.

Back
Top Bottom