Bay Area BYCers!

Nice to meet you! I also have some coturnix quail. They are beautiful birds, if not as friendly or relatable as chickens.
What's not to relate to? They just want to be comfy and lazy and snuggle into a pile of fresh, dry bedding. I don't know about you, but if I could spend all my time doing those things, I'd be over the moon. :)

What's not to relate to? They just want to be comfy and lazy and snuggle into a pile of fresh, dry bedding. I don't know about you, but if I could spend all my time doing those things, I'd be over the moon. :)
My quail are skittish and nervous, especially when humans are in sight, and not all of them get along with each other so well either. They don't stand being picked up or petted.
Quails have roosters that crow??? I had no idea! We have lots of California quail on our property- never have I heard a crow from them...
In my experience Roosters crow exactly for reasons a dog would bark. When my roos hear something suspicious at night they crow in the dead of night. They also crow all day long to alert and to impress the neighbor rooster. I can’t imagine culling a roo because he alerts at night - not any more than I would shoot my dog for the offense...
Luckily I haven’t had an obsessive crower yet. And we have the right to farm on our property so no one can complain. To be honest, I love the crowing - when we were roosterless for a few months I really missed the sound...
Yes, quail crow. It isn't like a chicken crow, but I can hear it through my bedroom window at 5 AM most days.

I got 2 pips this morning, there a day early.
20210410_084324.jpg

Hi all! Joining in from San Jose :) I got my coop and 2 hens right before winter from someone who was moving to Texas and now I'm looking to expand my knowledge and my flock! Does anyone have a place where they like to get pullets from? My partner doesn't want the fuss of chicks.

Back
Top Bottom