Bay Area BYCers!

I've got breese and Serma and some mixed eggs but I'm in San Jose.
I'll be driving up to San Rafael some time next week and could meet you off the 880 if you have flexible times but I don't know what day yet.
I'm sure it would be easier if you found someone right there however.

That is fabulous. Did you attend the lecture at the Heirloom Expo presented by Jim Atkins from Sustainablepoultry.com?

The lecture was really interesting. I think the key point I took away is that buying Cornish X year after year is not sustainable. In doing so, we are supporting the big chicken industry and shipping the chicks across the country has a huge impact on the environment. We are much better off raising our own birds (heritage dual purpose) that can reproduce naturally so we are not forced to buy (patented, hybrid) chicks and have them shipped to use year after year.

I listened to his lecture at last year's expo. Our goal was to only raise sustainable breeds this year but we were slow getting our breeding pens built. So, my friend went ahead and bought 2 groups of 50 Cornish X chicks from a hatchery. The first group is around 13 weeks and they have started dying because they are too big. They are processing them tomorrow. I talked to her today about raising Bresse and a couple other breeds next year and no meaties. We plan on putting the Bresse pullets that we are growing out in with our rooster Chauvelin. Then we are going to keep a couple of his sons and put one of them in with the two hens we have. We have yet to process one so we are hoping that the meat is as good as people say it is!

That brings up a question. My friend's neighbor raises barred rocks for eggs that she sells at the farmers' market. She orders 500 chicks at a time and ends up with some cockerels in the bunch. She does not want to process her own chickens so she gave all the young cockerels (around 20 weeks) to my friend. Does anyone know how barred rocks taste?

Last edited:
They are fine. Not as tasty as say marans but better then an x

Thank you! I guess we will find out!
smile.png
There are 25 or so barred rock cockerels in a green house area at the farm. They look like a flock of zoot suit chickens! I love my hatchery barred rock hens and seeing all those boys makes me think about finding some BRs from a breeder.

WE got 6 barred rocks from an egg swap last year. 4 were hens and 2 boys. The girls were crazy friendly lap chickens. I had never seen them sooo friendly unless a silkie tries to adopt someone.

We recently lost one of our beloved hens, and my kids have been angling for a replacement (or two). Conveniently, our cochin just went broody. Is there anyone in the East Bay who might have some fertile eggs with which they would be willing to part? We're in Oakland so something in the Oakland/Berkeley area would be convenient, although I'll be in Orinda and Walnut Creek on Sunday so I could pick up in Contra Costa County that day. I'll order some to be shipped if need be, but thought I'd try to go local if possible! Thanks!

There are some threads about hatching Trader Joe's fertile eggs, which might be a lot of fun. Apparently they are white Leghorn types and someone described them as "egg laying machines!"

Thanks so much for your kind offer. I think I've found something a little more local, but if that doesn't pan out, I might get back to you. I will be driving through San Jose on Saturday and Monday, so perhaps could arrangement something then. Thanks again.

I wanted to share some photos of my tiny Black Old English Game Bird Bantams. They were born the size of a cotton ball with needle thin legs and toes. In the photos below, they are between the ages of 1 day to 14 days old. And, oh yes! they move around in a lighting speed; impossible to catch : )

Walt Leonard, Fowlman01, birds.

Last edited:
I wanted to share some photos of my tiny Black Old English Game Bird Bantams. They were born the size of a cotton ball with needle thin legs and toes. In the photos below, they are between the ages of 1 day to 14 days old. And, oh yes! they move around in a lighting speed; impossible to catch : )

Walt Leonard, Fowlman01, birds.

Great photos. I really love the one with momma, it really shows how tiny they are.

Back
Top Bottom