Bay Area BYCers!

Hi Deb,
Western Feed Supply has the Scratch and Peck Feed, in the layer and the grower version. Not sure about the chick starter nor the scratch versions. Call them to make sure they have what you need; I did and even had a bag set aside. Comes in 20 pound (around $18???) and 40 pound bags, the latter is $29.30 a few weeks ago. I go to their store on 1600 34th St at /P Street, 916-452-4741 ... easy on/off highway 50. They have several stores in the Sacramento area.

update on Scratch and Peck Feed: I called S/P to thank them for linking to Azure Standard. The S/P lady said AS just picked up a load of their feed, and it is in the layer version. We should mention to AS that it will be chick season soon, followed by "grower feed" season, et al. She thinks AS is just having the layer feed version to try out the market for the S/P product and may add others (grower, starter) later.
Thank you, Clio! I'm very interested in trying out a whole grain, non-soy, non-corn feed.

Well, the color of the bird in question is definitely Silver Duckwing, but many different breeds come in that color.

Do you have any other pictures? I can't tell you for sure if it's a Phoenix because the angle of the picture isn't the best.

mail

Here is another picture. She is fast and very skittish and this is the best i could get at the time. Let me know if this helps.
Thanks

lol yeah however I will say 50 in the bay area ( S.F , OAKLAND , San Rafael ) areas right on the bay or Ocean are unlike and 50 degree temp's I have felt. I was in Novato last week with Deann at Just Struttin's xmas tree lot. It was cloudy windy and probably 50. It felt colder than it does right now up here. 30
that is why they say the coldest winter I ever felt was a summer in San Francisco.

Thank you for noticing this! I always feel a little crazy when complaining how cold it feels at 50. Was in Tahoe in 30 degree weather with a light wool sweater and jeans and was plenty warm enough. Think it is the moisture around here that pulls the heat out of a body! Same way humidity makes hot weather hotter. The chickens don't seem to mind the cold though, and we rarely have to worry about freezing.

Made some very hard decisions this morning....

I'm going to get out of the chicken "business". A few other reasons, but mainly my health. I just can't do the things I like to do anymore it seems. Of course I'll still have chickens in the backyard, but the breeding is going to have to be put on the back burner. I will be selling everything...

incubators, coops, birds etc. Birds will be auctioned or sold privately, everything else... I'll probably put a craigslist ad together.

It's been so much fun with all of you guys!

UPDATE 4 pens are rented already - 6 still available......Just spoke to my "landlord" at the Ranch where I've built my pens, instead of taking the pens & coops down, she is open to others renting them, about $75 a month for each (includes autowaters, water & coop) Each coop is one half of a 6' x 4' coop, the pens are each 6' wide. Some are 18' long, some 12' long. There are 10 pens and are located in Clayton. Please let me know if you are interested

Hi Cheryl:

Sounds like you are in a transition from something. Sorry you had to make a hard decision, but it sounds as though life will be easier now.

Best of luck on unloading all your equipment. Craigslist has always worked well for me.

Geri

Oleander Question - My neighbors have an oleander bush just across the fence from the ideal place to locate the coop, and it drops the dead leaves in my yard. Should I worry about :"the girls" eating the leaves and either dying or poisoning the eggs?

Thanks,

Dave

Oleander Question - My neighbors have an oleander bush just across the fence from the ideal place to locate the coop, and it drops the dead leaves in my yard. Should I worry about :"the girls" eating the leaves and either dying or poisoning the eggs?

Thanks,

Dave

Dave, I'm pretty sure Oleander is poisonous to most animals, chickens included.

Is there anyway your neighbor could keep the leaves from falling into your yard? Or maybe you could trim the bush for them so that the waste doesn't get in your yard?

Thanks,

Dave
Oleanders are poisonous but will the chickens eat it? I had some at the last place and they did not seem to mind it much but that may of just been my chickens

Back
Top Bottom