Bay Area BYCers!

welcome-byc.gif
I live in the East Bay and have not been able to find any feed stores that carry Modesto Milling feed or King Feed. I have my DH pick up bags of King Feed (they have a new GMO- free, corn-free, soy-free feed called Freedom) in Santa Cruz on his way home from work on Fridays. Maybe someone else knows of a different brand that one of our E Bay feed stores carries.

Hi Debbi!

I understand the GMO and the Soy free....but why corn free?

Hello! Does anyone know if there is somewhere which sells organic soy free and corn free layer feed in the east bay (preferably in my area which is Concord-Walnut Creek-Lafayette)? I'm not having much luck so far at the local stores. I know there is a place called Modesto Milling, but they are a bit too far & don't seem to have any distributors real close by.

Thanks for you help!
smile.png
Hello from Pleasanton Beakaboo! It's really not in the area you specified, but might be helpful. The only place I have found that comes close is: Bay Area Hay and Feed on Greenville Rd. in Livermore. They sell some Modesto Milling products. They sell the scrath and the soy free pellets, but no crumbles. They are a little stiff when you first walk in, but they are very friendly and helpful! Lots of chickens to look at too!! :)

Hi Debbi!

I understand the GMO and the Soy free....but why corn free?

Yup. King makes no organic corn free ration. They make Start & Grow, Layer Crumbles and Layer Pellets which are their only organic lines of feed. All contain corn. The soy-free feeds they make are under the "Natural" label and are GMO. I'd rather use organic than GMO.

Last edited:
Yup. King makes no organic corn free ration. They make Start & Grow, Layer Crumbles and Layer Pellets which are their only organic lines of feed. All contain corn. The soy-free feeds they make are under the "Natural" label and are GMO. I'd rather use organic than GMO.
King's new product is called Freedom GMO-Free Natural Layer Pellets and is corn-free & soy-free. It is not listed on their website, yet. At least as of 2 days ago, it wasn't listed. I have the label right here by my computer if you have any questions.

King's new product is called Freedom GMO-Free Natural Layer Pellets and is corn-free & soy-free. It is not listed on their website, yet. At least as of 2 days ago, it wasn't listed. I have the label right here by my computer if you have any questions.

Interesting. No wonder I haven't seen it. You know, I came across a soy free ration once where I saw the soy replaced with canola meal. Totally worthless! An old Kentucky Station report found that egg production increased when wheat or oats, or a combination of the two replaced corn (From G.F. Heuser's Feeding Poultry). If you could post the ingredients, I would certainly appreciate it. I'm suspicious of anything labeled "natural" unless it is certified organic.

The label is ripped in half because they sew it into the seam of the bag but I'll do my best to read where the rip is!

King Brand Freedom BMO-Free Natural Layer Pellets with added Vitamins, Minerels & Amino Acids (Corn-Free & Soy-Free)

Crude Protein, not less than 17.0%
Crude Fat, not less than 4.0%
Crude Fiber, not more 7.6%
Calcium, not less 3.0%
Calcium, not more 3.5%
Phosphorus, not less than 0.6%
Sodium, not more than 0.3%
Lysine, not less than 0.76%
Methionine & Cystin, not less than 0.something% (label smudged)
Added Selenium, no more than 0.30 PPM
Vitamin A, not les than 3500 IU/LB
Vitamin D, not less than 800 IU/LB
Vitamin E, not less than 20 IU/LB
Metabolizable Energy, not less than 1260 KCAL/LB
Omega-3 Fatty Acids, not less than 0.33%

Ingredients
Ground Wheat, Rice Bran, Ground Sugar Snap Peas, Peanut Meal & Hulls, Ground Lima Beans, Calcium Carbonate, Organic ? (name is in ripped area but is a short word maybe niger) Seed, Diotamaceous Earth, Salt, Calcium Bentonita, d, l Methionine, Monocacium & Dicalcium Phosphate, Marigold Petal Extract, Hydrolyzed Yeast (source of Mannan Oligosachharides), Hydrated Sodium Calcium Aluminosilicate, Direct Fed Microorganisms (Heat Stable Cultures Lactobacillus acidophilus, L. casei, Bifido bacterium thermophilum, Enterococcus faeclum, Aspergillus Oryzae), Yeast Culture ???? Anise Extract, Horseradish, Juniper Extract, Chinese Cassia Bark Extract, Ginger Extract, Selenium Yeast, Aspergilus niger Fermentation Product, Zinc-Methionine Complex, Manganese-Methionine Complex, Copper-Lysine Complex, Cobalt Glucoheptonate, Mixed Tocopherols (? ripped area), Rosemary Extract & Ascorbic Acid & Citric Acid, Vitamin # Supplement, Choline Chloride, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Thiamine Hydrocholoride, Pyridoxine Hydrocholoride, D-Biotin, Folic Acid, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Manganese Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate Monohydrate, Tribasic Copper Chloride, Ethylene Diamine Dihydroioside, Sodium Selenite.

No guarantees that this is 100% correct. The rip was diagonal across the label plus there was a misprint with a line through the label with letters missing! LOL!

Hello from Pleasanton Beakaboo! It's really not in the area you specified, but might be helpful. The only place I have found that comes close is: Bay Area Hay and Feed on Greenville Rd. in Livermore. They sell some Modesto Milling products. They sell the scrath and the soy free pellets, but no crumbles. They are a little stiff when you first walk in, but they are very friendly and helpful! Lots of chickens to look at too!! :)
Thank you, I'll give them a call & maybe make the trip out there this weekend if they have what I need.

The reason I look for corn free as well as soy free is because, as someone pointed out, corn really doesn't have much in the way of nutritional value. I know the chickens love it, but I guess my thinking is the corn free version will (hopefully) be more nutritious.

I appreciate all the replies & great info -- thank you!
clap.gif
D.gif

I buy organic no soy or corn feed from Azure Standard. They have drop shipment routes, you email and ask them if they have a drop off point near you. They deliver once a month, the only problem is that you have to be able to pick it up on their delivery date, in a small time window. They have someone locally that manages the drop point. I use either Cascade or Big Sky feed, you have to watch and make sure that the feed is available on the cut off date. I usually order both types just to be sure I will get some, I like these feeds because they also contain fish meal, which helps boost Omega-3s and provide an animal protein source. Also some people have put together buying groups to buy Modesto Milling in large quantities, and they get it delivered to one spot were everyone picks it up from.

http://www.azurestandard.com/

Last edited:
Hi, Sandy!!! Long time no talk!
wink.png
I think corn free because it is hard to find corn that is not GMO. Plus many people believe that corn is the worst grain for us to eat.
Hi Debbi! Okay, I get it. I'm trying to find a feed store in Paso Robles or someplace that will sell it so Aaron can pick it up on his way home!! :) I like the soy free and GMO free..... My birds won't eat pellets...they like the crumbles.... I think they are spoiled!

Back
Top Bottom