Bay Area BYCers!

Thank you Sew and Grow! I sew too! Do you belong to a quilting guild?

I belonged to the Turlock Quilt Guild for years & did weekly quilt workshop classes for years too. A friend of mine has her own long arm machine & does my quilting for me. She is a business & paid mega bucks for her machine but it paid for itself in the first 3 years. I mostly craft sew but have made my share of quilts......LOL
Worked for me with the hyphens. Hope to see you in the summer time!
I had to do a copy & paste but finally got to it & joined.

Anyone have any fertile LF Cochin eggs for sale in the Bay Area? I have a broody Silkie that hasn't given up in three months and would love to add Cochins to my flock!

Thanks in advance!

~Haileigh

*Posted here and Northern California just in case!

I live in Mountain View and have had chickens for 2 years now. Just got my first complaint from the neighbor behind me who works nights and doesn't believe in earplugs for sleeping I guess. He cited "Mountain View Code" though no specific portion of it and made veiled threats of "involving law enforcement". Fortunately, my husband answered the door, not me :) I'm ******! Mtn View doesn't have a noise ordinance. They do have a nuisance ordinance covering animals which I would be violating if the chickens squawked for 10 mins continuously or 30 minutes intermittently. That doesn't happen every day but it probably happens sometimes. Not sure how to handle this. Wait it out and call his bluff? Get rid of the top noisemaker (one hen is responsible for probably 75% of the noise here). Get rid of the chickens, buy a gas powered leaf blower and fire it up in the backyard every morning at 9am? Move to Salinas and buy a farm? Ha ha, not an option :( Anyway, anyone ever had a ****** off neighbor? How did you handle it?

I'm in compliance with chicken code with the exception of having one extra hen. I can't be sure I satisfy the requirement for being 25 feet from an occupied residence with my pen since I can't measure on other peoples property but it looks like I am ok just eyeballing it.

And BYC cesored a word starting with "p" that means extremely mad. Not peeved, the other one. weird.

Last edited:
Hi chickenfu, I live in fear of upsetting my neighbors. One hen started bokking at 6:30am the other day and with our recent heat wave our windows were open and it seemed so loud. Luckily the neighbors have what sounds like giant mastiff hounds that are about 5x louder. Lol my husband hates them but I'm grateful they make the hens seem less obnoxious in comparison.

So sorry you have to go through this stress.

Maybe offer him a peace offering of a batch of fresh eggs and a pair of earplugs? :p

I live in Mountain View and have had chickens for 2 years now. Just got my first complaint from the neighbor behind me who works nights and doesn't believe in earplugs for sleeping I guess. He cited "Mountain View Code" though no specific portion of it and made veiled threats of "involving law enforcement". Fortunately, my husband answered the door, not me :) I'm ******! Mtn View doesn't have a noise ordinance. They do have a nuisance ordinance covering animals which I would be violating if the chickens squawked for 10 mins continuously or 30 minutes intermittently. That doesn't happen every day but it probably happens sometimes. Not sure how to handle this. Wait it out and call his bluff? Get rid of the top noisemaker (one hen is responsible for probably 75% of the noise here). Get rid of the chickens, buy a gas powered leaf blower and fire it up in the backyard every morning at 9am? Move to Salinas and buy a farm? Ha ha, not an option :( Anyway, anyone ever had a ****** off neighbor? How did you handle it?

I'm in compliance with chicken code with the exception of having one extra hen. I can't be sure I satisfy the requirement for being 25 feet from an occupied residence with my pen since I can't measure on other peoples property but it looks like I am ok just eyeballing it.

And BYC cesored a word starting with "p" that means extremely mad. Not peeved, the other one. weird.

So sorry you have neighbor problems. I haven't experienced that yet but living in the country is totally different. My next door neighbor may complain about the free range Guineas I have that for some reason love to free range under his almond orchard, I think they are just eating bugs & they come back to my place but are all over during the day. I will just wait & see. They were given to me by a chicken lovin' friend & I enjoy the noises they make. It makes me giggle.....LOL

Hi there.... I am new to the forum but want to let everyone know about a Backyard Flock Workshop put on by the California Poultry Federation in Modesto on May 31. I manage the NPIP program and have various poultry experts speaking. Email or message me. If you go on the cpif.org website, you will find info about the workshop. Hope to see some of you there!

Thanks Monica :)
I don't suppose you'll be repeating it closer to Santa Rosa?
I do want to be there. If anyone wants to carpool (I can drive, just don't want to waste fuel on 3 empty seats), please PM me :)

Hi Laurieks.... i am not planning another workshop in northern calif until next year (have one in the fall in socal but obv that is too far
smile.png
.) I am open to suggestions for a location next spring. I still have room so hopefully you can find a few folks to carpool to Modesto. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Cream Legbar Event in Novato CA May 17th

Hi everyone,

I would like to invite Cream Legbar owners/breeders to an event in Novato (my house) on May 17th at 10am. Walt Leonard (Judge and Standard Revision Committee Chair Person) will be here to evaluate for type. Our goal for the event is to help breeder breed toward the SOP.

To attend we request that you own Cream Legbars. We encourage people to bring 1 of more of their birds to be evaluated. Please provide your own cage or carrier for evaluation purposed. Birds must be in good health.

This is a FREE event but registration is required. Please register on the Cream Legbar Club website at:
http://www.creamlegbarclub.com/40-california-cream-legbar-event---may-17-2014

Feel free to PM me with questions,

Deann DaSilva
http://www.justruttinfarm.com

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom