Bay Area BYCers!

Quote:
Sending good hatching vibes your way!!!
fl.gif
jumpy.gif

Hi Guys!

So I'm trying to settle into our new place, but it's been hard because the house is filthy and we don't have our furniture yet. Plus my husband has been away for a conference. My chicken setup isn't ideal either. Though my BIL built us a great coop, especially for a first-time builder, we have no run. So each morning and night I have to transfer the peeps one by one between the coop and a covered pen. The 2 adults are easy, but the 7 1-month olds are little jerks, especially when 1 or 2 get away from.me. I seriously need a net or something. I'm trying to construct a tunnel between the two structures. Hopefully this weekend when we have family over to help us unload the moving truck, they can help build a run too
smile.png

But speaking of little jerks, one of the young BCMs has become really aggressive. He bites everyone, but his main victim is another BCM. He is relentless. I witnessed it for the first time yesterday and all the little ones were stressed, but the main victim was absolutely terrified and exhausted. It broke my heart. I removed the little jerk and the others immediately relaxed. My first thoughts turned to culling the mean one. I don't know if I have the stomach for it though. It just makes sense though, you know? I don't want a stressed flock. The kicker is that the mean one was actually the last egg to hatch and mama had already abandoned the nest before it did. I had brought the egg inside and hatched it in a makeshift incubator. Maybe I should have let nature take its course.

Has anyone here dispatched an aggressive young chick?

Last edited:
I need a new home for my 11-month old barred rock cockerel, since San Jose won't let us have roosters. He's not crowing yet, but he should be starting soon. He's been vaccinated for Mareks and has been fed organic feed since birth. He's been handled a lot by myself and my kids and will sit on our laps. He's used to having a roomy coop and run and free-ranging several hours a day. If you have a good home for him (if you keep birds for meat but kill humanely, that's a good home too), please let me know by emailing me directly through my profile. Here he is (with our two easter egger pullets bowing obediently before him):
86896_11monthbarredrock.jpg

Well I gave a friend my spare eggs from the ones I stuck under my broody and my friends hatched and she was nice to offer up a chick. It's only one but the demented broody is happy enough so we shall see. So far so good.

Quote:
Anna,
I am so happy for you. Is the chick actually blue? My first hatch from that Blue Andalusian quartet produced all blacks. Now I have several blues in this last hatch. Go chickies......LOL

Hi Karen,

It is hard to see what is going on under the hen. But, she kicked another blue andalusian shell out, and I have seen a white chick under there, so maybe a light sussex or Jeremy's BW?? Not sure yet. Under her chest, I can see a light sussex egg has pipped.

I didn't think to try to tell if the chick is blue or black...but the one I saw is tucked under her again, so not sure now.

Once the hatch is done and she gets off the nest I can take photos of the chicks.

Anna

Quote:
>>>>>>>>>>>
Hi,

I would wait before giving away that chicken. I just looked up pictures of hens and cockerels for barred rocks, and the rooster comb goes back much farther then yours. I would wait until your either hear a crow or get an egg before finally knowing for sure. Different breeds get combs and wattles at different times, so you can't compare the Barred rock to a Black Austrolorp for example.

Ron

Chick report! I have 6 chicks hatched (BBS from Pips and Peeps) - still a little confused on the colors, two at least are black, two or three are blue (one of the blues might be splash), and one might be blue or black. Still have some pending, 3 pips and the rest no pips yet. Will post photos soon.

Quote:
>>>>>>>>>>>
Hi,

I would wait before giving away that chicken. I just looked up pictures of hens and cockerels for barred rocks, and the rooster comb goes back much farther then yours. I would wait until your either hear a crow or get an egg before finally knowing for sure. Different breeds get combs and wattles at different times, so you can't compare the Barred rock to a Black Austrolorp for example.

Ron

I thought roos had more white and hens more black in their coloring....but i have never owned this breed, so dont listen to me to closely???

Back
Top Bottom