Baytril ineffective so far.....UPDATE 11/28/14

texsuze

Crowing
11 Years
Dec 17, 2012
Texas Hill Country
Backstory: Four weeks after their arrival, one of my 'started' Dominique pullets (at age 16 weeks) developed the foamy discharge in the corner of her right eye. No nasal discharge, no odor. A bit of redness in her facial area, too. She was/has been acting fine, perky, curious, eating, drinking as normal. Entire flock was put on oxytetracyline in all water sources for two weeks. No improvement in this pullet, but no other flock members (age 1 to 4 1/2) showed signs of problems.

Same Dom pullet was then given a 5 day course of Baytril injectible per veterinarian consultation. No improvement on Baytril, either. She continues to have the eye foam, slightly reddened face, (no nasal discharge, no odor) but is running around, eating, drinking, exploring. No breathing problems to date.

Yesterday, her sister, another 'started' Dom pullet (now age 19 weeks) showed first signs of eye foam, also in her right eye. Slight reddening of face, no odor, no nasal discharge, no breathing problems, otherwise acting fine in her behavior.

I'll attempt to get a swab or fecal sample (whichever is needed) tested tomorrow, thinking that this is MG, but wondering if I need to resort to sulfa drugs in the water at this point. I'm saddened that my first Dom did not respond to Baytril.

These are pure pets having no contact with other chicken owner/breeders. I'm hoping they can be saved and that they'll recover, at least symptomatically, understanding that I likely have a compromised flock.

Has anyone needed to resort to multiple medications in order to get on top of such a disease process? Experienced input is appreciated.

******************** UPDATE

Well, since Baytril did not resolve symptoms, I went to Denegard (oral, mixed in water) for 5 days. Also used it in making feed "mash". No change. The two symptomatic Doms, now about 20 weeks, are still showing signs of occasional eye "bubbles", although the 'sister' Dom's problem seems a bit less severe.

Today, after vet consultation, I'm starting eye drops twice a day (neomycin/polymyxin B/dex) and hoping against hope that I'll see some results. Note that I do not have a definitive diagnosis from blood or fecals yet (life has been getting in the way). Both girls are active, eating, drinking, running around, funny, and enjoying our mild weather. These girls need some positive vibes from the BYC crew, please!

Last edited:
I don't have any experience, but I would put Bacitracin/Neosporin (or better, Polysporin) in their eyes. Might also try Tylan. I hope it's nothing serious, and since you said the only symptom is the eyes, then it sounds like there is hope.

Last edited:
I think I read somewhere that gapeworms could cause foamy eyes, but don't quote me on that. FWIW, the amount of Baytril I use is 0.09ml per pound, but I would not use it if the only symptom was foamy eyes. One could also try Cipro eye drops, which you can buy from Twin City Poultry for about $20.

-Kathy

I agree with Texsuze, it sounds like MG and not gapeworms. Bloodwork will determine if it's MG and a fecal sample will determine if worms are present.
Denagard will treat MG.

I've only seen gapes once, but did just read somewhere that they can cause bubbles in the eyes, but don't remember where I read that. Like I said in my earlier post, I wouldn't treat for just bubbles, I would have to see more symptoms, like depression, weight loss or lack of gain.

Fecals are always a good idea, as are nasal swabs and blood tests.

-Kathy

I've only seen gapes once, but did just read somewhere that they can cause bubbles in the eyes, but don't remember where I read that. Like I said in my earlier post, I wouldn't treat for just bubbles, I would have to see more symptoms, like depression, weight loss or lack of gain.

-Kathy

You might be thinking of eyeworms.

-Kathy

You might be thinking of eyeworms.

Pretty sure it was gapes... Will try to find the source.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom