BBS English Orpington Splash Rooster Quality Question

Egzermalda

Chirping
Jan 26, 2023
I have 2 Splash and 1 Blue English (and 3 Black Laced Silver) English Orpington hens. ALL being covered by a Black Laced Silver Rooster. The Chicks from the Splash and Blue hens are all "Blue" and indistinguishable. I have been selling all my chicks and some hatching eggs. There is a HUGE demand in my customers for Splash chicks. I have the opportunity to buy the pictured 1year old Splash rooster from the same breeder I got the rest of the flock from so that I could provide Blue and Splash chicks without being muddled by the BLS genes. My concern is the brownish color of his hackles and saddle. Is this normal for Splash Orpington Roosters? If anyone can provide pictures of their Splash Orpington Roo for comparison, I would be grateful. Or just any comments on this dude and how he would do as a baby daddy for my BBS hens. I do understand the BBS genetics and also understand I haven't done the breed any favors by covering my BBS hens with a BLS roo. Just trying to fix the problem. First pic is the available roo and the second is my current flock of Orps. My profile Pic is one of my Splash hens.

Attachments

• Brendas Splash Roo crop.jpg
    Brendas Splash Roo crop.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 74
  • Chickens mini.jpg
    Chickens mini.jpg
    893.5 KB · Views: 41
I have 2 Splash and 1 Blue English (and 3 Black Laced Silver) English Orpington hens. ALL being covered by a Black Laced Silver Rooster. The Chicks from the Splash and Blue hens are all "Blue" and indistinguishable. I have been selling all my chicks and some hatching eggs. There is a HUGE demand in my customers for Splash chicks. I have the opportunity to buy the pictured 1year old Splash rooster from the same breeder I got the rest of the flock from so that I could provide Blue and Splash chicks without being muddled by the BLS genes. My concern is the brownish color of his hackles and saddle. Is this normal for Splash Orpington Roosters? If anyone can provide pictures of their Splash Orpington Roo for comparison, I would be grateful. Or just any comments on this dude and how he would do as a baby daddy for my BBS hens. I do understand the BBS genetics and also understand I haven't done the breed any favors by covering my BBS hens with a BLS roo. Just trying to fix the problem. First pic is the available roo and the second is my current flock of Orps. My profile Pic is one of my Splash hens.
I think he looks quite nice. The picture is a little dark. You might as for a few more in the sun of him. I don't think you're seeing leakage in his hackles.

As for the current breeding situation, letting a Silver-laced male cover Blue or Splash hens will get you F1 Blue Silver-laced. I've been trying to get that project off the ground at my house and every time I get laying F1 hens or perfectly-laced F2s some freak accident happens and they die.

Where about are you located?

I think he looks quite nice. The picture is a little dark. You might as for a few more in the sun of him. I don't think you're seeing leakage in his hackles.

As for the current breeding situation, letting a Silver-laced male cover Blue or Splash hens will get you F1 Blue Silver-laced. I've been trying to get that project off the ground at my house and every time I get laying F1 hens or perfectly-laced F2s some freak accident happens and they die.

Where about are you located?
I am in Northern Nevada.

My fourth batch of these chicks is hatching today. And I have nest with two BLS sisters on it due soon (egss from all the Orps). So far ALL of the Splash and Blue hens chicks (covered by the BLS roo) are coming out Blue and indistinguishable from each other. There has been one or two that are slightly lighter blue, but mostly dark blue. See pics. I have sold them all except one of the lightest which is still less than 2 weeks. But I do have a friend who has some of the oldest of the bunch, they should be feathering out. I'll try to get her to take some pictures. Can you tell from the chicks if they are going to be laced? Don't you get some sort of "semi-lacing" (per the Chicken Calc) if only one parent is laced?

I told the breeder I would take the Splash roo. Now I just have to figure out a way to divide and separate the flock. Which is going to suck, because they all free range. Having only 1 roo kept things simple. I did ask her if the "brown" in the hackles and saddle was normal and she said, "yes, it's normal". All her breeding pens are under cover, so it would not be easy for her to get him in full sun.

Attachments

• PXL_20230315_190513618.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230315_190513618.MP.jpg
    955 KB · Views: 34
  • Orp crop.jpg
    Orp crop.jpg
    929.8 KB · Views: 24
  • My BLS Roo.jpg
    My BLS Roo.jpg
    970.8 KB · Views: 24
  • 11 Orps.jpg
    11 Orps.jpg
    702.2 KB · Views: 20
  • Blue Splash Chicks.jpg
    Blue Splash Chicks.jpg
    381.1 KB · Views: 20
  • BLS chicks.jpg
    BLS chicks.jpg
    433.8 KB · Views: 20
  • PXL_20230128_001044776.jpg
    PXL_20230128_001044776.jpg
    701.9 KB · Views: 21
  • PXL_20230128_001110132.jpg
    PXL_20230128_001110132.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 24
Last edited:
This is the one I kept from the last hatch (4/21-22). It was significantly lighter than all the others. I am 95% sure it was from a splash egg. There is one lighter one in this latest batch hatching today as well. And 2 of them are nearly black.

Attachments

• Kept Splash Chick 1.jpg
    Kept Splash Chick 1.jpg
    369.8 KB · Views: 23
  • Kept Splash Chick 2.jpg
    Kept Splash Chick 2.jpg
    515 KB · Views: 18
  • Kept Splash chick 3.jpg
    Kept Splash chick 3.jpg
    317.3 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Lacy (in front) has been sitting on 21 eggs for nearly 3 weeks now and a few days ago Ring moved in to steal part of the soon to be baby glory at the grand finale. Toto (the third BLS) and Mini (the smaller Splash) still lay their eggs in there every day and I have to fish them out.

Attachments

• PXL_20230511_002655219.jpg
    PXL_20230511_002655219.jpg
    706.9 KB · Views: 34
I'll try to get her to take some pictures. Can you tell from the chicks if they are going to be laced? Don't you get some sort of "semi-lacing" (per the Chicken Calc) if only one parent is laced?
Not generally at hatch on the F1, no. Now my F2 chicks, yes. I knew immediately they were Blue Silver-laced. I always hold onto all the blue chicks from that cross, and when they feather out, keep the females with the best lacing to breed back to their father. It's possible to obtain a perfectly laced specimen in the F2 generation, but it's more common to get them in the F3 offspring unless you hatch enough or are very lucky in F2.
I told the breeder I would take the Splash roo. Now I just have to figure out a way to divide and separate the flock. Which is going to suck, because they all free range. Having only 1 roo kept things simple. I did ask her if the "brown" in the hackles and saddle was normal and she said, "yes, it's normal". All her breeding pens are under cover, so it would not be easy for her to get him in full sun.
I keep all mine penned, and then they get let out on alternate days of the week in the evening when I'm home.
Lacy (in front) has been sitting on 21 eggs for nearly 3 weeks now and a few days ago Ring moved in to steal part of the soon to be baby glory at the grand finale.
21!!! Mine break eggs if they get more than 6. I've got a broody Araucana right now. I'm debating letting her have some eggs. I'd trust her with more than six. The Orpington girls are just so big they tend to smash them.

Back
Top Bottom