BBW tom with clear liquid diarrhea

Caitlynp84

Hatching
Jul 6, 2023
My 3.5mo turkey BBW has liquid diarrhea. Noticed wet shavings in cage but didn't know it was his poo until this morning, he's not acting himself anymore. Offered electrolytes in water so far. He's walking, didn't seem interested in food but did drink some water. We've had so much rain in the month that their wooded area is muddy but has higher ground, wet but not muddy. They sleep in a giant cage in my house at night. My BBW hen is fine. Ideas??

Do they have contact with chickens or run in an area where chickens have been previously in the past 3-4 years? Blackhead could certainly be a possibility even if the ominous sulfur colored droppings havent started yet. I am medicating one right now for blackhead and he hasn't had any sulfur colored droppings yet. But the other symptoms are there. Not to the droopy stage yet, but off feed and sleepy acting. Do you know if you have blackhead in your area?

Coccidiosis is another possibility since you are dealing with a wet environment. I would start by treating with a coccidiostat like corid and see if he improves with that.

I’m in south Alabama it’s hot as hell this time of year here my turkeys drink a ton of water and their poop turns watery and clear from the amount of water they take in. They stand around with their wings drooped away from their bodies trying to cool off to. Not sure if yours is doing this but mine act this way is high heat.

I’m in south Alabama it’s hot as hell this time of year here my turkeys drink a ton of water and their poop turns watery and clear from the amount of water they take in. They stand around with their wings drooped away from their bodies trying to cool off to. Not sure if yours is doing this but mine act this way is high heat.
This is what he's doing! He's responsive and I saw him pecking around earlier. It's been high 80s and humid past couple days, from a whole month of rain. Thanks!
Do they have contact with chickens or run in an area where chickens have been previously in the past 3-4 years? Blackhead could certainly be a possibility even if the ominous sulfur colored droppings havent started yet. I am medicating one right now for blackhead and he hasn't had any sulfur colored droppings yet. But the other symptoms are there. Not to the droopy stage yet, but off feed and sleepy acting. Do you know if you have blackhead in your area?

Coccidiosis is another possibility since you are dealing with a wet environment. I would start by treating with a coccidiostat like corid and see if he improves with that.
I don't know if black head is in my area, but I've not experienced it. No other symptoms of it either. My chickens used to free range but we penned them up after a bobcat snatched a couple.

This is what he's doing! He's responsive and I saw him pecking around earlier. It's been high 80s and humid past couple days, from a whole month of rain. Thanks!

I don't know if black head is in my area, but I've not experienced it. No other symptoms of it either. My chickens used to free range but we penned them up after a bobcat snatched a couple.
One other thing you may need to be concerned about in humid damp conditions is botulism.

It's been 80's and 90's here in Kentucky and humid too but even when it's hot when my birds go off feed I get suspicious. I agree they will drink more water when it's hot and that will make their droppings more watery. I tend to be a hoverer where my turkeys are concerned I suppose. It's easier to treat something early when symptoms first begin then to wait until the bird has deteriorated. And you can't fix dead. Things like blackhead and coccidiosis are swift to kill them unfortunately.

I pray you never have to deal with blackhead. It's been a major pain in the neck.

Back
Top Bottom