BCM x CCL hen back crossed to Wellsummer roo

Kayleebohannan

In the Brooder
May 3, 2019
I have a crested cream legbar x black copper maran, olive egger hen, that I have back crossed to a welsummer rooster.

Has anyone done this? I have some chicks hatching all black and some are more welsummer colored. Is there any significance to the feather colors with these breeds?

Thank you!

If the hen wasn’t barred, the chicks aren’t all sex link. The olive egger has two versions of her E gene, one is birchen (from the BCM) and the other is duckwing (from the legbar). The roo only passes on duckwing. The chicks either inherit a copy of both or just duckwing. Birchen is dominant, so if they have both than they will appear birchen, so black chicks growing into black copper adults, if they are ‘chipmunk’, they have two copies of duckwing, and will appear generally like a welsummer. I hope that makes sense.
You might be able to tell the male and female welsummer type chicks apart.
7FFC9550-02F4-4E96-9391-CCD6087083C0.jpeg

P.S. if the hen was barred, all the males should have white spots on the top of their heads.

I just did my first batch of Olive Egger hens backcrossed to a Welsummer and BCM roosters. So far I have a mix of chipmunk patterns and solid black. As far as I can tell it's seems to be less of them being chipmunk like the Welsummer, even the ones coming from the Welsummer roo pen.

I'll have to see how they develop as they grow.

Back
Top Bottom