bear on my street this morning

After a bear trashes the place completely then he might decide to have a chicken dinner. Bears can do more damage in 30 minutes than 2 carpenters can fix in 2 days. Ive seen the results!
old.gif
Speaking of bears how is my new avatar?

Last edited:
We regularly have black bears in our area at this time of year- the really bad ones are hungry young males recently sent off on their own by mothers who have new cubs. They WILL seek out the easiest garbage in town but if you do the following they will probably leave you alone:

Freeze all leftovers including the following between collection days- meat/poultry/fish/fat/bone/grease/grain (especially corn), rinse all cans and bottles before recycling;
Thoroughly clean your garbage containers with soap and water, including the lids and keep all organics out of them;
Cease putting fresh organics in your compost except for leaves or grass clippings until no bears are sighted for a while, consider burying them;
Check all refuse in or near your coop/barn in the same way. If your land allows, a burial pit far from the house and coop can be useful.

The bear will choose the residences with the easiest food, and hopefully you will be exempted. As already mentioned, a bear in your coop will wreak so much havoc you might give up raising chickens.

This spring a male created major chaos at our general store because of garbage cans left for the use of customers. They had a heck of a time discouraging hm and it was a lot of work, but he's someone else's problem now (not ours!).

Last edited:
This is what I like about this forum - you guys live in another world!! My nearest bears are on tv or in the zoo! I would be thrilled to see one but also scared stiff!!!

I can actually say that! But I won't even guess at the village! That must really be like going to a whole different world.

Thank you spelling it out. It was driving me crazy!

Cindy

I would make sure you don't have any dog or cat food outside and don't give your chickens any people food for awhile. A bear is more likely to take apart your coop looking for the pasta you gave the chickens, and then to eat the chooks as a after thought then to go after them as a first source of food. Where my sister lives bears are a constant problem, and keeping your trash in order is the best defense.

Quote:
If you are ever in this area on holiday, give me a shout. If a bear doesn't come around in a day or two, I can take you down the cayon by the river. You will see a least one before you make it back to my house.
Be sure to bring a change of clothes.
lau.gif

Quote:
If you are ever in this area on holiday, give me a shout. If a bear doesn't come around in a day or two, I can take you down the cayon by the river. You will see a least one before you make it back to my house.
Be sure to bring a change of clothes.
lau.gif

What a brilliant offer - thanks!!! It is highly unlikely, I think, but a nice thought:yiipchick

Back
Top Bottom