Bedding Experiment Results

I just went through the purchase process to see how much shipping would be and unfortunately for 66 lbs it is $66 and shipping would be $57. I know this would be different depending on location but such a bummer because the price is great.
Same here- $37 for shipping on 1 bale- that's more than the cost of the hemp :-(

Thank you...excellent information since we are having a new coop built May 1. I have been researching run and coop bedding and since the HOA requires our chickens be confined it must be the most efficient. Good comparisons!
Good luck, let us know which one you decide to go with.

I am planning on using hemp pellets for our coop. I've been pricing it online and it's insanely expensive because of the shipping cost. I'm going to look around at our local farm stores.

I think hemp might be a little to pricey for the run also. We're currently building our coop and it's very muddy in the area so we bought a bale of straw. I laid it out the other day and it really went a long way. It's been helping us not track dirt in our house. I think I may use that for the run.

Side note - I never thought laying down straw could be therapeutic but it was very relaxing.

Old Dominion is on sale for $31 but their shipping is a little more reasonable. Total cost for 1 - 33 lb bale with shipping to me is only $56.50
https://www.odhemp.com/shop/large-animal-bedding-33-pound-bag/
I suppose that is good if it's hard to get out to purchase it in store somewhere. I have found 66 lb bales for around $65 online but again, shipping. I'll report back when I look in our stores. Let us know if you find anything else. I love price shopping!

We're currently building our coop and it's very muddy in the area so we bought a bale of straw.
Deal with any drainage issues now while building coop and run.
Coarse wood chipping, from a tree trimmer, is the best long term solution for run bedding, IMO.

I laid it out the other day and it really went a long way.
It won't last long tho, and may become a stinky anaerobic mess.

Coarse wood chipping, from a tree trimmer, is the best long term solution for run bedding, IMO.

It won't last long tho, and may become a stinky anaerobic mess.
Sorry, I should have been more detailed. It was muddy because we had a semi tornado come through. It's not usually muddy but it is dirt. The drainage seems to be okay under normal circumstances.

I will definitely keep an eye on the drainage in the weeks ahead before the chickens arrive to make sure all is in order.

Last edited:
Do you know if I can purchase course wood chips anywhere besides a local tree trimmer?

Why do you think this is superior to other materials for the run?

Thanks for the info, aart

Do you know if I can purchase course wood chips anywhere besides a local tree trimmer?

Thanks for the info, aart
Landscape supply companies can possibly have some. Main reason to get them from tree trimmers is 1) free or low cost and 2) recycles local materials that often get thrown away.

It's superior due to the drainage and aeration it provides.

I do not, I doubt it.
Plus you need space to store a huge pile out of the way.

IMO it's the perfect material for long term cold composting of poops in a run.
Smaller more delicate organic and wood products disappear much faster.

Back
Top Bottom