Bedding preferences

Toctoc

In the Brooder
Aug 27, 2017
New England
Hi, I am planning in building a new coop this spring, but I can't decide on the type of bedding to use .. . I have sand in my run right now and it makes clean up a cinch, but I like the idea of the deep litter method for extra warmth in the winter ( I live in New England).. . I'm curious what everyone prefers . I have 4 chickens, so there isn't a ton of poop, but I want to plan my coop to be as easy to maintain as possible .thank you, for your thoughts!!

I use pine shavings in both my hen house and run. Thought about changing to sand before since it's a lot cheaper (4$ a 50lb bag in my local home depot). I put it in one corner of the run for my hens to dust bathe but never realized how much lung-killing dust it makes.

I think sand in the run sounds fine. Wouldn't want that dust floating around in the hen house though. Straw in my area seemed kinda expensive too (16$ a bale)

Thanks!! I agree the dust in the sand is crazy, especially after they have kicked it up . I didn't think of that. What about hemp? Alot of stuff I'm reading says it's easier to compost. . .

I have pine shavings in the coop and natural soil in the run. Every month or so I add a few bushels of dry leaves to the run. The chickens break it down and spread it around. Even so, there's sandy dry soil under it all and they dig into that for their dust baths.

I don't see much evidence of poo in the run and there isn't any odor. I don't know where that poo goes. If I ever see any build up I guess I'll double or triple up on the dry leaves that go in there.

Thanks!! I agree the dust in the sand is crazy, especially after they have kicked it up . I didn't think of that. What about hemp? Alot of stuff I'm reading says it's easier to compost. . .
I don't know much about composting tbh :( All I've heard is pine shavings are pretty suitable for it. Hemp isn't available in my area

Back
Top Bottom