Beginner in Breeding Call Ducks Help

MistressReborn

In the Brooder
Aug 21, 2015
Southern Maine
My family is all about chickens, we have a ton of them and actually just came back from a chicken show this weekend. I'm looking to move into actually breeding ducks though for quality, but all of my experience is in chickens. My grandfather is the biggest Serama breeder where I am and that's how I started with the chickens. I ended up showing two of my Call Ducks at his show though, and one won reserve champion in junior ducks. So that really pushed the idea to begin breeding ducks myself.

The issue is, I'm not sure how to go about that. With the Seramas, we keep them in cages as pairs indoors and clean those cages out once a week, but the ducks need to swim and all of that. Currently, I have two pairs of ducks outside in a little hen house with a kiddie pool in an enclosed area because they CAN stand cold weather, but how will we go about separating the breeding pairs once spring rolls around? Are there any systems that are known to work well?

Additionally, are there any good breeders I can get in contact with for tips and possibly more pairs? There really aren't any breeders I know of in New England, and I would really appreciate any help in this. Thank you!

If you are willing to travel to the Northeastern Poultry Congress show in January, you will undoubtedly find some nice pairs for sale. It's in MA. I myself hope to attend.

I personally also breed them, and I have a very nice pair of whites that I hope will give me nice offspring in the spring, if you're interested.

If you are willing to travel to the Northeastern Poultry Congress show in January, you will undoubtedly find some nice pairs for sale. It's in MA. I myself hope to attend.

I personally also breed them, and I have a very nice pair of whites that I hope will give me nice offspring in the spring, if you're interested.

I believe that I'm actually going to that show! I think I'll be showing Seramas and possibly my own white calls! But definitely I'd be interested in some more calls in spring, as I'm hoping to diversify what I have if you'll have any available.

I believe that I'm actually going to that show! I think I'll be showing Seramas and possibly my own white calls! But definitely I'd be interested in some more calls in spring, as I'm hoping to diversify what I have if you'll have any available.

Great! Maybe I will see you there :)

My white pair is from Robert Lasher, and I'm really hoping to get some nice ducklings out of them.

I'm in Maine and breed calls (unrecognized colors and patterns though). They are very cold hardy as long as you have a warm shelter for them on cold/snowy days. Otherwise you'll find they like to be outside!

If you want to buy show quality pairs, look now. Most show breeders will not sell ducklings or eggs and only sell birds in the fall once they can determine the quality of them.

Barry Roberts is a big call guy here in Maine but I haven't found him to be very helpful and hes not so great about returning messages (maybe hes just busy, but I've tried discussing calls with him numerous times over the last 5 years). Maybe you will have better luck than me, lol. I only show and breed for fun as I like fun colors and patterns rather than the same old varieties you see at all the shows!

silvercalls.jpg
ancona call 2016.jpg

Back
Top Bottom