Beginning at the Beginning

This is really interesting as my hubby is building our run as we speak. We decided to make a bigger run (ours was 2ft high by 3ft wide and 6ft long).

We are now making it 4ft high by 6ft by 6ft. I never thought of roosting perches so will nip and tell him about that. In our coop we have 3 chickens and only 2 nest boxes. The coop is very much like your picture.

CoopDesign2.jpg

Here is the revised drawing and dimensions

The height of the run is 5 1/2 feet, except where the coop is, which is 2 feet, and will total 8 feet long. The coop is 4 1/2 feet tall on the short side, sloping up for weather to 5 1/2 feet. The interior dimensions on the coop 2 1/2 feet tall on the short side, 5 feet deep and 4 feet wide, plus the nest boxes which will be 1 X 1 and a total four. One side will have a large access door for cleaning.

We are now looking at six layers.

I like it better. Make it taller yet tho, and include that in the run. I did my run in 6 ft tall 2x4 welded wire and then put 2 ft tall mesh inside that at ground level. So there is no reason to go with 5 1/2' when the fencing comes at 6 ft ht. I set mine in a shallow trench and poured cement all around. No dig-ins yet.

Taller lends itself to having better air quality inside when coupled with proper full-time year-round ventilation. Not so stuffy and stifling inside when they have to go in to lay an egg in warm weather. Their happiness and contentment will pay dividends in production and less fighting and pecking. Read more on behavior and egglaying in this forum. And also, read lots and lots in the pest and predator section. Do not underestimate predators. They are innovative, patient, cunning, and will always find your weak places. They are determined and they hunt in urban settings all of the time as well. BTW, make sure that your chicken walk is around a 4:1 slope.
cool.png

Last edited:
Another option you have (depending on where you live) is to make the roof out of the clear or opaque plasic roofing. On a coop your size this type of roofing can save money and add a lot of much needed light. It is also strong enough to take a snow load in the winter. One other tip, I have my water (just a hanging bucket) inside. In the winter what ever water source you have will freeze unless it is heated. I us just a plain old thick plastic bucket for a few reasons. In the winter when it freezes I bang it a few times and out comes the ice. Also regular water founts leak unless perfectly level and when ever a chicken jostles it or trys to sit on it. With my bucket I have dry bedding at all times.

And finally, chickens are addicting, so many colors and types that you will run out of room quickly. A larger coop will give you more choices.

Quote:
Are you saying I need a 25% slope? That seems a bit much.

Oh, your talking about that ladder deal they use to get up to the coop. Ok. I thought you meant the ground in the run needed a steep slope. LOL.

See, I'm a newbie. LOL

Quote:
Are you saying I need a 25% slope? That seems a bit much.

Oh, your talking about that ladder deal they use to get up to the coop. Ok. I thought you meant the ground in the run needed a steep slope. LOL.

See, I'm a newbie. LOL

I did mean the chicken ladder. But, if you have a choice, a sloped area would be better than a really flat area IMO. You will not have to clean it ever, if it is large enough. Not only that, but it will never be mucky no how much it rains. My run slopes at around 6:1 and it is never mucky no matter how much rain. And I do not have the terrific odor either that plagues so many BYC'rs with flat, level runs.

Nice concept, vlantz - reminds me a bit of mine:

34118_coop_13_small.jpg

My total footprint is 44 sq. ft. and I am going to expand the run this spring and get one more hen - bringing us to our total idea number of 4 layers.

Back
Top Bottom