Beginning coop construction...

Got the frames for the windows built and got some of the hardware installed on them after painting with a semi gloss white exterior paint.

We are using rubber washers to hold the plexi glass in place. We'll follow up by sealing the gaps with caulk.

Started painting the inside of the coop as well.

Let's hope we can finish this thing this week. The chicks will be five weeks old on Saturday and I am a little tired of them being in the house haha.

So close!!!

Roof decking on...

Then some felt and drip edge...

And started painting. Got two wall done today. All the trim and the fascia has been painted separately so that will go up tomorrow after the other walls are painted.

If the husband can get the shingles on tomorrow, we'll have it ready for the chickens to move in on Saturday!

Your progress is very nice. I bet you are so excited! We've also been building ours... thought I have not documented step by step. I was a little uneasy doing so at first... I wasn't sure how well it was all going to go. lol

I am considering making my own thread with what we have so far and the rest of what we do. Thank you for the inspiration. :)

We still didn't finish!!! But it looks like a semi respectable chicken coop now. Roof has a ridge vent up top and I still have to add hardware cloth to he soffit vents. Fascia has been cut and painted so as soon as I get the hwc in, those can go up. Some of the painters tape is still on in this pic. I need to go back through and touch up a few more spots yo touch up on paint wise. We'll be tarping the entire structure again tonight because we are expected to get rain again this weekend, all weekend. Ugh.

Aww, I'm sorry. :/ I know how disappointing that is. I was hoping my bf would have the door on today.. but it didn't happen. But it's ok. I'm really hoping tomorrow. And do the hardware cloth at the roof and patch some holes on the floor where the stupid deck boards weren't straight. Ugh. Then I can at least get some fuzzy butts in the coop!! :D

Aww, I'm sorry. :/ I know how disappointing that is. I was hoping my bf would have the door on today.. but it didn't happen. But it's ok. I'm really hoping tomorrow. And do the hardware cloth at the roof and patch some holes on the floor where the stupid deck boards weren't straight. Ugh. Then I can at least get some fuzzy butts in the coop!! :D

It is a bit disappointing but we took a day off to take the kiddos to the zoo the other day. Losing an entire work dday hurt us but it was well worth it. And even so, I am proud of how it is turning out already!

The biggest issue with not finishing this week is we are supposed to get rained on for the next week, solid. Ugh. Which means we can't work on until the rain passes. Which means we might have seven week old babies by the time they can go into the coop...

The biggest issue with not finishing this week is we are supposed to get rained on for the next week, solid. Ugh. Which means we can't work on until the rain passes. Which means we might have seven week old babies by the time they can go into the coop...

The zoo trip would definitely be worth it. :D Ahh, I feel your pain. Ours are also pushing 7 weeks! I was really hoping they'd get in today, but at this point, it may be tomorrow. Idk. I'm feeling anxious. We dealt with a solid week or more of rain prior to this week. Thank God it has cleared up and is now beautiful. Maybe your forecast will change...

Your coop is adorable! I am kind of embarrassed to post pics of mine after seeing such as yours. :p Mine is ugly. lol It will be cute in time, but as of now, it's got a ways to go. I really want to use the same siding you used. The T1-11. But it is expensive!! So we opted for OSB for now. And are planning on covering it as our budget allows. And it looks like your husband really knows his way around carpentry. My bf is no master carpenter... lol But I know the chickies will be happy, regardless of what it looks like. :D

Back
Top Bottom