Beginning stage of coccidiosis??

jedool

In the Brooder
Apr 15, 2022
Hello! I wanted to hear some thoughts on my ~14 week old Rhode Island Blue pullet. Some information about her that I think may be important to know: she has always been the fiestest even up until a couple of days ago. You touch her? She’s peck at you to go away. She’s not timid, but she definitely won’t let you pick her up easily.
I had these pullets separated from my hens in the coop for about a week and then allowed them to be all together after they seemed used to each other. They have all been together for a few days and the whole flock I just put on All Flock pellets with oyster shells on the side for my layers.
Today I noticed this usually feisty hen kind of keeping to herself. She was a little bunched up which is what is scaring me that she might have coccidiosis. She will eat and drink as well as peck around a little bit, but there is definitely something different with her. If you have any thoughts please share!! Thank you!

Attachments

• AE63B6F3-E20E-4CB7-A00A-EB0352D7867B.jpeg
    AE63B6F3-E20E-4CB7-A00A-EB0352D7867B.jpeg
    782.8 KB · Views: 122
  • 72D3DB23-F2D9-4FEB-BA6C-A3062C22063F.png
    72D3DB23-F2D9-4FEB-BA6C-A3062C22063F.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 7
  • EBA90F3E-81B2-46C3-B03F-AFC69023559B.jpeg
    EBA90F3E-81B2-46C3-B03F-AFC69023559B.jpeg
    290.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 9B27DBEB-5D46-4574-909B-6E670DC81CDB.png
    9B27DBEB-5D46-4574-909B-6E670DC81CDB.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 8
How is everyone’s poop looking?
Can you separate her jist long enough that she poops so you can possibly posy a photo?

How is everyone’s poop looking?
Can you separate her jist long enough that she poops so you can possibly posy a photo?
I don’t know if this helps, but about an hour ago while I was sitting with her she did poop. It was tiny, but the color or consistency didn’t alarm me. I can definitely still get a photo though!

I don’t know if this helps, but about an hour ago while I was sitting with her she did poop. It was tiny, but the color or consistency didn’t alarm me. I can definitely still get a photo though!
Oh and as for everyone else’s, there’s been a few watery ones but other than that I haven’t seen anything that concerns me.

Is it hot or wet where you are? I wouldn’t rule out coccidiosis especially if you’ve only recently put them together in the same space.

Check your pullet’s crop in the morning to make sure it’s empty.

Is it hot or wet where you are? I wouldn’t rule out coccidiosis especially if you’ve only recently put them together in the same space.

Check your pullet’s crop in the morning to make sure it’s empty.
Thank you for the response! I will do that! To add I did take her out and she perked up a bit while I was giving her crumble from my hand. With coccidiosis, do they have moments or peeking up a little bit? Or are they constantly looking and acting unwell? We did have some rainy days, and although our run is covered the floor has gotten a bit damp…

Would you suggest giving her Corid or some vitamins? I don’t have any now, but I can get some first thing tomorrow.

In my experience my flock has difficulty with spikes in worm and coccidia populations when we have periods of heavy rainfall. One of the first indications are watery poops.

If you are concerned anbout either, you can dose them with amprolium medication (Corid) for coccidiosis and you can usually safely worm them at the same time.

Do not give any b group vitamins whilst treating for coccidiosis with an amprolium based medication because amprolium works by blocking thiamine uptake, so giving extra vitamin nullifies the effect. You can give them the supplement after treatment has finished.

Definitely check her crop in the morning though because if it’s not empty you may also need to address that issue specifically. This article is a good place to start.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

In my experience my flock has difficulty with spikes in worm and coccidia populations when we have periods of heavy rainfall. One of the first indications are watery poops.

If you are concerned anbout either, you can dose them with amprolium medication (Corid) for coccidiosis and you can usually safely worm them at the same time.

Do not give any b group vitamins whilst treating for coccidiosis with an amprolium based medication because amprolium works by blocking thiamine uptake, so giving extra vitamin nullifies the effect. You can give them the supplement after treatment has finished.

Definitely check her crop in the morning though because if it’s not empty you may also need to address that issue specifically. This article is a good place to start.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
Thank you for the link, that’ll be very helpful in the morning when I check her crop! I sat in the run for a little while to observe her and before bed she ate + went to go roost with the others so fingers crossed it’s nothing too bad! I will update after I check her in the morning!:)

Some information about her that I think may be important to know: she has always been the fiestest even up until a couple of days ago. You touch her? She’s peck at you to go away. She’s not timid, but she definitely won’t let you pick her up easily.
I had these pullets separated from my hens in the coop for about a week and then allowed them to be all together after they seemed used to each other. They have all been together for a few days and the whole flock I just put on All Flock pellets with oyster shells on the side for my layers.
Today I noticed this usually feisty hen kind of keeping to herself. She was a little bunched up which is what is scaring me that she might have coccidiosis. She will eat and drink as well as peck around a little bit, but there is definitely something different with her.

Would you suggest giving her Corid or some vitamins? I don’t have any now, but I can get some first thing tomorrow.
How many birds now? Pullets and hens?
How much space is in your coop/run (sqft)?

You just introduced them (integrated) a few days ago. She may not be quite so full of herself now that the adults have probably put her in her place...

Possible she's not feeling well. Photos of the poop would be good.

If you feel that's she unwell, then treating for Coccidiosis won't hurt them.
Liquid Corid dose is 2tsp or Powdered Corid Dose is 1 1/2tsp per gallon of water given for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.
Do not add any extra vitamins/electrolytes that contain B1(Thiamine) to food or water during the course of treatment.

Back
Top Bottom