behavior's explained.

motherduckling

Chirping
Sep 1, 2020
HI I am trying to understand my kharki campbell.s (pancake) behavior'. he's a lovely boy so funny and plays with his mallard drake friend and so happy. but I want to know why he follows me everywhere. if I go out of sight or my partner he squarks like he is shouting until he finds what ever one of us has gone to the loo. he follows me into the kitchen and stays with me the whole time i'm in there. but he wont let me touch him unless i'm playing with a toy and he sort of attacks it. i can get a tickle in or a tummy tickle, or a neck tickle. my mallard drake (aromatic) is so quite (he is a little disabled) so this is probably the reason hes a bit quite, and bed time the both follow me to bed and they sleep in a big area next to my bed, Pan has to have a little interaction before he settles, he likes to nibble my hand and sort of attacks me but its not violent its very gentle. and Aro lets me stroke his head for a little bit, and sometimes lets me stroke his chest. but the big, question after this is why neither of them will let me touch them in day light, they run away. (i do not chase them or tower over them. I am at their level.). they both know their names so if I call Pan hes there in a flash (thinks I have worms lol) and will nibble my fingers but moves away if i try to stroke him. sorry for the long post i guess my question is. why call for me and follow me everywhere but move away if I try and touch them. Pan is like a dog he will get so excited when I come home its like contradicting behavior.

HI I am trying to understand my kharki campbell.s (pancake) behavior'. he's a lovely boy so funny and plays with his mallard drake friend and so happy. but I want to know why he follows me everywhere. if I go out of sight or my partner he squarks like he is shouting until he finds what ever one of us has gone to the loo. he follows me into the kitchen and stays with me the whole time i'm in there. but he wont let me touch him unless i'm playing with a toy and he sort of attacks it. i can get a tickle in or a tummy tickle, or a neck tickle. my mallard drake (aromatic) is so quite (he is a little disabled) so this is probably the reason hes a bit quite, and bed time the both follow me to bed and they sleep in a big area next to my bed, Pan has to have a little interaction before he settles, he likes to nibble my hand and sort of attacks me but its not violent its very gentle. and Aro lets me stroke his head for a little bit, and sometimes lets me stroke his chest. but the big, question after this is why neither of them will let me touch them in day light, they run away. (i do not chase them or tower over them. I am at their level.). they both know their names so if I call Pan hes there in a flash (thinks I have worms lol) and will nibble my fingers but moves away if i try to stroke him. sorry for the long post i guess my question is. why call for me and follow me everywhere but move away if I try and touch them. Pan is like a dog he will get so excited when I come home its like contradicting behavior.
Well, the answer is because he is a duck. Ducks like to stay and lay by other flock members but they do not pet each other. In fact, mine only poke each other to be mean. Also, the only things that reach for them in the wild, are predators trying to catch and eat them. So when you reach for them, their instinct kicks in and tells them to flee.
Your ducks see you as their Momma duck and as another flock member. They get concerned when you are not a part of the flock and call you. All normal!

Well, the answer is because he is a duck. Ducks like to stay and lay by other flock members but they do not pet each other. In fact, mine only poke each other to be mean. Also, the only things that reach for them in the wild, are predators trying to catch and eat them. So when you reach for them, their instinct kicks in and tells them to flee.
Your ducks see you as their Momma duck and as another flock member. They get concerned when you are not a part of the flock and call you. All normal!
Thank you for that, I thought it was that, was just checking as I did have a duck that jumped at the chance to be picked up and tickled complete opposite. and he was a rescue mallard. he's my profile pic. he used to jump on your lap and put his head round my neck and sleep, very needy, he loved sitting in that tambourine as well until he got too big but still used to sit on it. he did look awkward but he was happy ! lol

Back
Top Bottom