Belgian Duccle Bantams

Probably my last question but would the porcelain breed true? Or would I also get Millie fleurs if I was to cross 2 porcelains together:confused:
Breeding two porcelains should give just porcelain chicks, no mille fleur ones.

If you breed your splits to porcelain, all the chicks will be porcelain I believe.
No. If you breed a split to a porcelain, about half the chicks will be porcelain, and the other half will be mille fleur split to porcelain.

If you breed the splits to Millie Fleur, all the chicks will be Millie Fleur, some of them will carry the lavender gene.
Yes.

Edit/ if u breed the splits together you’ll get porcelain and Millie Fleur, some of the Millie Fleurs with be split lavender.
Yes.

My roo is a mille fleur split to porcelain as-well as my hen
You should get about 1/4 porcelain chicks, 2/4 chicks that look mille fleur but are split to porcelain, and 1/4 that look mille fleur and are not split to porcelain. So 3/4 of the chicks look like mille fleurs, but some of them are split to porcelain and some are not.

Last edited:
I didn’t know if the porcelains from the split parring would carry any buff genes

Thank you @NatJ for the clear ups where I was wrong.
I'm not sure what you mean by "buff." Do you mean the gene that lets them look mille fleur rather than porcelain?

If porcelain is just mille fleur + lavender, then the only gene being changed is lavender (in the porcelains) or not-lavender (in the mille fleurs). So porcelain x porcelain = porcelain, regardless of whether any previous generations were mille fleur colored instead of porcelain.

I'm not sure what you mean by "buff." Do you mean the gene that lets them look mille fleur rather than porcelain?

If porcelain is just mille fleur + lavender, then the only gene being changed is lavender (in the porcelains) or not-lavender (in the mille fleurs). So porcelain x porcelain = porcelain, regardless of whether any previous generations were mille fleur colored instead of porcelain.
Arnt millie fleur Buff Colombian with mottled over. I read somewhere buff was recessive.

Arnt millie fleur Buff Colombian with mottled over. I read somewhere buff was recessive.
I agree that Mille Fleur should be Buff Columbian with mottling. Mottling is a recessive gene, so Mille Fleur would be recessive to normal Buff Columbian.

Porcelains are lavender diluting a Mille Fleur, so they still have all the same genes as the Mille Fleurs do (the Buff Columbian and the mottling), plus the lavender gene.

Crossing back to normal Mille Fleurs should not change anything but the lavender gene. They would all still be pure for Buff Columbian (whatever combination of genes is making that) and also for the mottling gene.

I agree that Mille Fleur should be Buff Columbian with mottling. Mottling is a recessive gene, so Mille Fleur would be recessive to normal Buff Columbian.

Porcelains are lavender diluting a Mille Fleur, so they still have all the same genes as the Mille Fleurs do (the Buff Columbian and the mottling), plus the lavender gene.

Crossing back to normal Mille Fleurs should not change anything but the lavender gene. They would all still be pure for Buff Columbian (whatever combination of genes is making that) and also for the mottling gene.
So wouldn’t some of porcelains carry the buff gene? Or am i just confused

So wouldn’t some of porcelains carry the buff gene? Or am i just confused

The only difference is whether they have lavender or not. All the other genes are the same.

Lavender is recessive. It only shows if a chicken has two lavender genes. So if a chicken shows lavender (porcelain), they can NOT carry the gene for not-lavender.

Back
Top Bottom