Belgian D'Uccle Color Genetics

Amanda16

Songster
7 Years
Mar 1, 2017
Dewey, AZ
Hi all!! I was wondering if anyone had a color genetics chart for D'uccles. What color pairings are safe to breed together, and which ones would get all muddled if paired together. I'm used to Labrador Retrievers, where they either carry the genetics to produce a color, or they don't.
I'm trying to learn more about color genetics for chickens and I'm finding its a bit more involved for them. Does anyone have any color charts or useful references? Picture of my Mille Fluer hen because she's cute. I'm getting some Porclain D'uccles come spring.
20231018_174101.jpg

Porcelain, golden neck, and mille Fluer can be bred together. Black blue, splash, and mottled can be bred together. Lavender (self-blue) and black can also be bred together but self-blue and blue can create confusing lavender blues in future generations that aren't considered a pure color (but quite pretty.)
Many genes are used to produce Mille Fluer coloring (partridge, Columbian, mottled), and many genes are used to produce black-based colors (extended black, melanized) so it is best to keep the colors separate if you want pure colors.
White d'Uccles are most likely caused by the recessive white gene because I have never heard of a paint Belgian bantam (even though dominant white exists in Belgian bantams.) Recessive white is two genes that turns the whole bird white so the bird could have any base color. White is best bred together.
Also, there are no breed-specific color charts. Genetics are the same across all breeds, no matter the color. (Although different genotypes can be used to produce the same phenotype.)
Chickens tend to be so complex that we prefer to cover them using a calculator... https://kippenjungle.nl/Overzicht.htm
click "crossing over" when you have the two colors you want to cross.
Just so you know black unicolor/self•E doesn't mean black it means black with leakage or an intermediate between black and whatever color you crossed it with. Black unicolor/self is true black.

Porcelain to Mille Fleur will produce chicks Millie Fleur colored but the chicks will carry the porcelain gene, meaning that if you bred those chicks back to the porcelain you’d get porcelain colored birds.
Amer knows more about genes than me. I don’t know what other recessive gene may be hidden when pairing them with other colors.
Agree that if your wanting to breed for pure color keep your colors separated.

Porcelain, golden neck, and mille Fluer can be bred together. Black blue, splash, and mottled can be bred together. Lavender (self-blue) and black can also be bred together but self-blue and blue can create confusing lavender blues in future generations that aren't considered a pure color (but quite pretty.)
Many genes are used to produce Mille Fluer coloring (partridge, Columbian, mottled), and many genes are used to produce black-based colors (extended black, melanized) so it is best to keep the colors separate if you want pure colors.
White d'Uccles are most likely caused by the recessive white gene because I have never heard of a paint Belgian bantam (even though dominant white exists in Belgian bantams.) Recessive white is two genes that turns the whole bird white so the bird could have any base color. White is best bred together.
Also, there are no breed-specific color charts. Genetics are the same across all breeds, no matter the color. (Although different genotypes can be used to produce the same phenotype.)
Chickens tend to be so complex that we prefer to cover them using a calculator... https://kippenjungle.nl/Overzicht.htm
click "crossing over" when you have the two colors you want to cross.
Just so you know black unicolor/self•E doesn't mean black it means black with leakage or an intermediate between black and whatever color you crossed it with. Black unicolor/self is true black.
Hi Amer :)
I am fairly newish to breeding duccles as well and I had a question maybe you could help me with? In fall I purchased a breeding pair of Golden Necks… I hatched three eggs shortly after and the result is one solid white hen, a light golden hen and a millie looking male that is slightly lighter in colour than my breeding Millie’s. Are you able to explain how this happened and direct me how I would produce white lines using the all white female? Should I breed her back to her father? Thanks for your time! -Trish

Hi Amer :)
I am fairly newish to breeding duccles as well and I had a question maybe you could help me with? In fall I purchased a breeding pair of Golden Necks… I hatched three eggs shortly after and the result is one solid white hen, a light golden hen and a millie looking male that is slightly lighter in colour than my breeding Millie’s. Are you able to explain how this happened and direct me how I would produce white lines using the all white female? Should I breed her back to her father? Thanks for your time! -Trish
Yes you should.
White hens from a Golden Neck pairing could have a few differences causes. For one thing, two copies of dominant white can dilute the golden parts to almost white, and she would be even more white with excessive mottling.
Or she could simply be recessive white.
Either way, breeding together birds with white-enhancing genes with very white phenotypes should produce white offspring.

Yes you should.
White hens from a Golden Neck pairing could have a few differences causes. For one thing, two copies of dominant white can dilute the golden parts to almost white, and she would be even more white with excessive mottling.
Or she could simply be recessive white.
Either way, breeding together birds with white-enhancing genes with very white phenotypes should produce white offspring.
Thank you very much for the reply. :) Look forward to seeing what she will produce!

Back
Top Bottom