Belgian Malines Have Arrived!!!

Thanks! They're really something else! They're so quiet. No crowing yet, but the oldest boys are just starting to spar a bit. The wee chicks are foraging a little further away from moms. One even roosted on top with the big birds tonight. Although very cute, I must reconfigure the roosts/poop board set up. I noticed how clumsy the big kids were when getting down this morning. A few crash landed in ways that could be harmful later. I have a temporary fix until I can get hubby's help. Most Malines like to be on the floor - no roost necessary. Or if one is provided, should be under 2' high. Thanks to Bart for his advice! Glad I figured this out before any damage could be done. Phew!

Last edited:
I can imagine a large growing chick will break a leg from an unexpected fall.

6 weeks old today! Nice little butterballs!
smile.png

They sure feather out much slower than my hybrid layers... gotta be perfect for those Canadian winters I bet! Glad you were able to lower those roosts in time. An injury during colder months can really take a toll on a bird and possibly spoil one as well! (speaking from experience lol)
I'm very impressed!

How do you keep track of them all?
lol.png
Looking good! So exciting to watch them grow.

Funny you should say that, lol! I know there's 7 boys & 5 girls. I count them at different times of the day to be sure all is well. Thank god for my dogs! Moms & young roo are still caring for them. Chicks are starting to wander further, but still within eyesight. Once the breeding process begins, I'll make my selections, band them & put them into the breeding pen. :) Spring can't come soon enough!

The crowing boy, Thor, has a nice, low pitch so far. ;)

Shelly,

I highly suggest wing bands! I use what are call zip wing bands. I band chicks at about a week old. And for the most part the are permanent. You can even have them custom punched with whatever you wished!

Back
Top Bottom