Belgian Malines Have Arrived!!!

The older group is 13 weeks old today :)

Top pic is a great looking new contender for a breeding position. :D
Below him is Thor, my giant among them all. :)

Last 2 pics are of the same pullet. She has a lot of good qualities, I think.

They look great! I hope Thor pales out for breeding! Would be a lovely combo for color & size! Fingers crossed for you!

How much do these weigh at 13 wks? They look the same size as my 2 yr old hens!

Last edited:
They look great! I hope Thor pales out for breeding! Would be a lovely combo for color & size! Fingers crossed for you!
I'm thinking the yellow may be locked on Thor. I could still try breeding him to any other girls with the pale features. The combo could still throw some great chicks! Would create some for culling too. No big deal. :)

I'll try to weigh some tonight ;)

Can't wait to see the first eggs!
Me too! :)

Results are in!
I've weighed my 3 biggest birds, which turns out are the ones pictured. I also weighed my 20 1/2 week old buff orp pullet (hatchery stock). Buffy is 4.5 lbs. My pullet is 5.3 lbs. Thor's brother is 6 lbs. Thor is 6.3 lbs. Thor was 4.1 lbs. 3 weeks ago. :) That being said, I've never raised large fowl before, but I'm pleased with the results thus far. :)

Results are in!
I've weighed my 3 biggest birds, which turns out are the ones pictured. I also weighed my 20 1/2 week old buff orp pullet (hatchery stock). Buffy is 4.5 lbs. My pullet is 5.3 lbs. Thor's brother is 6 lbs. Thor is 6.3 lbs. Thor was 4.1 lbs. 3 weeks ago. :) That being said, I've never raised large fowl before, but I'm pleased with the results thus far. :)

Wow! Proven foragers too!

They have been the BEST foragers of any birds I've raised. I've raised over a dozen different breeds on my property (hatchery stock, mind you, to be honest) & none have measured up to the Malines. At best, I could say the Dorkings & Buff Orpingtons were pretty good foragers, but the Malines are voracious! :D

The weight is very close to matching up with what the breeder predicted they would weigh. Awesome! I think Thor will match up good with one of the hens from the new bloodline this coming spring. Remember that perfection wont matter at the dinner table! I'm sure he will produce some tasty offspring while you are waiting. Always good to put in my 2 cents worth!

Back
Top Bottom