Belgian Malines Have Arrived!!!

That is so awesome! I am looking forward to raising this breed in the future, so very much! I have a lot of preparation to do first, & while Shellz continues to make improvements these beautiful birds; for the first time I am patient about something lol!

Thanks so much you guys! I'll see about getting a few pics up later today. I have to pen them up now, as its getting colder & bugs are harder to find. Moms took the kids across the road yesterday. That's never happened before in 4 years & I worry for their safety.

The weight is very close to matching up with what the breeder predicted they would weigh. Awesome! I think Thor will match up good with one of the hens from the new bloodline this coming spring. Remember that perfection wont matter at the dinner table! I'm sure he will produce some tasty offspring while you are waiting. Always good to put in my 2 cents worth!
Yep, Thor is something else! He's my #1 roo & I'm thinking of a #2 roo as well. Thor has a brother with great features as well. :) My #1 priority in breeding these birds, is to keep them BIG! Utility first, so perfection in other areas will come later. No rush. I'm not showing either, whether I could or not.

Here are the babies at 7 weeks old now. :)

Yeah, when you have a large group of chickens they will forage far and wide. Like you said the bugs are getting scarce.

They are looking great!

Truly looking at this birds past history of being bred for its inherited meat qualities astonishes and awes me. According to the limited information available it was mentioned that the initial creation of this breed was crossed at some point with a game bird. As a result of that cross, the belgian malines as we now know it developed a somewhat waterproof downy feathering and the internal distribution and fatty flavor enhancers spread out throughout the meat of this bird. This bird is prized for its delectable flavor and a rarity on some menus of eastern cuisine. Not knowing the breeds of chicken and or game bird is somewhat of a mystery. Interpretation can be miskewed and I may not be totally right in my perspective. This is an amazing find and breed worth saving. Your pictures Shellz are fantastic!

I must have read that somewhere as well, about the somewhat waterproof feathering. Our property is situated on a high water table area, so when I first got into poultry, I had Cuckoo Marans. These birds definitely had that quality. :) However, the Marans were hatchery stock & didn't measure up meat-wise. Since then, I was on a quest to find the one breed of chicken that would thrive in our particular environment. I found the Malines to be a perfect fit for us. :) As they are growing out, I can see that these birds are everything I had hoped them to be. :D There is only one important test left & that will be in the tasting. Here's hoping our patience will be rewarded. :)

Thanks Our Roost! Taking photos is fun & an important part in seeing how they are developing. Its a real labor of love for me. :) As an added bonus, I have entered a few contests & won 4th place in one. :D

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom