Belgian Malines Have Arrived!!!

Here's a nice pic of my new future breeder. :)
He is a pretty boy!!
smile.png

Do you caponize?
I caponized cockerels for my animal reproduction class when I went to vet tech school. Its a hit or miss procedure until you get the knack. You may have to sacrifice a few birds until you learn the procedure. The procedure is easier to do when the bird is around 3 weeks old. Just make sure you do have a cockerel when doing the procedure. I remember when Sears used to sell caponizing kits.

Wish I had the tools this year, as I had some wee hatchery stock mutt cockerels I could've practised on. I would practise on dead birds first. I want to feel reasonably confident of doing the procedure, before putting a Malines under the knife. There are much better tools available, but must be imported from China. I'm still unsure whether I have the stomach for it or not...:/

I caponized cockerels for my animal reproduction class when I went to vet tech school. Its a hit or miss procedure until you get the knack. You may have to sacrifice a few birds until you learn the procedure. The procedure is easier to do when the bird is around 3 weeks old. Just make sure you do have a cockerel when doing the procedure. I remember when Sears used to sell caponizing kits.
I started caponizing this year, and the ones that I have done that were the easiest were the 4 week old ones. I have had slips in the older ones, but that is part of the learning curve, and I have only lost one bird(the very first one). I have even poulardized some pullets, because they were mixed breed DP birds, and I didn't need any more layers.

I have started processing the slips, and I think the meat from them has been better than an intact cockerel at the same age. So the caponizing was not for naught even though not 100% successful. I have two broody cockerels that are 7 weeks old that I need to caponize ASAP, and then I will be finished until next year.

Do you have any idea when Sears quit selling the caponizing kit?

Would you believe that there are very few veterinarians who have been taught to caponize?

Would you believe that there are very few veterinarians who have been taught to caponize?
So true! A part of my curriculum was large animal reproduction where we had to be able to artificially inseminate cattle (Including collection of semen from bulls) before we 'graduated' to poultry management where caponizing is considered part of flock management. Not to mention we had to learn how to AI chickens and turkeys. I won't go into embryo transfer in cattle and horses.

I'm hoping as backyard flocks grow-caponizing will become a common procedure in the veterinary field.

So true! A part of my curriculum was large animal reproduction where we had to be able to artificially inseminate cattle (Including collection of semen from bulls) before we 'graduated' to poultry management where caponizing is considered part of flock management. Not to mention we had to learn how to AI chickens and turkeys. I won't go into embryo transfer in cattle and horses.

I'm hoping as backyard flocks grow-caponizing will become a common procedure in the veterinary field.
I've heard about that bull semen collection......yikes! My hubby and I used to breed and raise quarter horses.....he collected semen, and I inseminated. So I understand a little of where you are coming from.

Getting vets to caponize at a reasonable price would be the issue, and the cost effective way will end up being folks caponizing their own birds, like those who castrate other livestock themselves. I am glad I have learned, and continue to improve this skill because it is a step toward self sufficiency, and maximizing the yield in each bird.

I have been talking to Shelley behind the scenes as I had bought 3 Malines pullets for breeding stock and 3 cull cockerels for meat only from Bart. My son in law bought 5 mature hens and 1 rooster. I just had 2 of the cull cockerels processed today and thought I would post a picture of them. They were 18 weeks old and one weighed 5 lbs. and the other weighed 4.6 lbs. They appear to be just a nice sized bird for roasting. I will update you on that when I do roast one as I would normally do with stuffing etc. and a normal roasting time. The second one will be put in a salt water brine with celery-onions-garlic-and spices to see the outcome also.

These boys were outside for almost all summer and ate grass like wild fire. They really did not eat much food at all. I put them inside for the last month with hopes they would loose muscle tone and hopefully fill out a bit more. They were huge in stature but only dressed 5lbs.

We had 25 eggs in the bator to hatch and after candling the other night 24 are going to lock down with 1 not growing. They are to hatch by this coming Wednesday.

So even though the rooster is at least 10-12 lbs. in weight he is still getting the job done. These chicks will be raised indoors for their entire life until processed. This will be a good test as to how much food they eat indoors compared to being outside all summer. If the roasting/tasting/texture test passes then we will raise a good bunch this coming spring/summer for our families.

I have been talking to Shelley behind the scenes as I had bought 3 Malines pullets for breeding stock and 3 cull cockerels for meat only from Bart. My son in law bought 5 mature hens and 1 rooster. I just had 2 of the cull cockerels processed today and thought I would post a picture of them. They were 18 weeks old and one weighed 5 lbs. and the other weighed 4.6 lbs. They appear to be just a nice sized bird for roasting. I will update you on that when I do roast one as I would normally do with stuffing etc. and a normal roasting time. The second one will be put in a salt water brine with celery-onions-garlic-and spices to see the outcome also.

These boys were outside for almost all summer and ate grass like wild fire. They really did not eat much food at all. I put them inside for the last month with hopes they would loose muscle tone and hopefully fill out a bit more. They were huge in stature but only dressed 5lbs.

We had 25 eggs in the bator to hatch and after candling the other night 24 are going to lock down with 1 not growing. They are to hatch by this coming Wednesday.

So even though the rooster is at least 10-12 lbs. in weight he is still getting the job done. These chicks will be raised indoors for their entire life until processed. This will be a good test as to how much food they eat indoors compared to being outside all summer. If the roasting/tasting/texture test passes then we will raise a good bunch this coming spring/summer for our families.

Nice looking birds!

Back
Top Bottom