Belle chicken could be sick. I'm not sure.

seesthru

In the Brooder
11 Years
Dec 26, 2008
Pensacola FL
SHe is having a terribly heavy molt. She's leaving piles of feathers everywhere. SHe stopped laying, and isn't eating as much. I do know she has a swollen nostril. I thought it was scratched, but it looks swollen and she scratches it. Other than that I don't lknow why she is like this.

Belle is a pet, she hated the silkies, and they picked on her terribly. So they went to a new home. She is a solo chicken now. I had gotten her a big hen for a pet, but the hen picked on her too. Belle is a cochin bantam.

Anyway, is a heavy molt normal? I dont' see bald spots, and she has new feathers on her head, you can see the sheaths breaking up like they should... Other than the swolllen nostril, I can't think of what could be wrong. SHe doens't seem in pain, just a bit lethrgic. I thought she might be getting lonely, but the molting? It's more than I've ever seen!

I am going to go to the feed store to get medicine for her water. Any suggestions for that nose would be helpful. It's not really bad, but it's noticeable if you know to look for it.

How old is Belle? During a molt they can have a reduced immune response and benefit from vitamins in water and extra protein.
it sounds as though you are willing to baby her and she will need a draft-free environment during the regrowth of her feathercoat.
Good sign that the feather shafts are coming along, and if you give her yogurt with her commercial feed and other protein rich food she will benefit.
Some people offer a saddle during molt to keep the skin warmer. Increased calories are of benefit for heat retention and growth of feathers.
Is she eating/drinking normally? What about her droppings? Of course you should check for signs of skin parasites, just in case.

Vitamins can be baby vitamins (no added iron) or poultry vitamins.

Nostril may be because of dust, not sure, warm bathing with a mild saline solution may help, keep it wiped off as much as possible and watch for any signs of decline...

Wild bird suet helps too both for calories and for providing fats for sheen and gloss on skin and feathers.
cool.png

Last edited:
chickens are social animals and NEED a companion of their own kind. Try to find one she will get along with..maybe a younger bird? Wait till she finishes her molt and is healthy again.

Back
Top Bottom