Belly "Fat" Duck

Keep bathing and irrigating the eye four times a day. Do have a good look in the eye tomake sure there isn;t a small bit of grit or the like there. Apply tetracycline ointment ofter bathing.

Glad she is eating and that her belly has gone down somewhat. Please have patience and give her time to pull through whatever is going on with her, as long as she is not deteriorating.
I will gently examine her eye again when I flush it in a few moments. It is swollen shut so it's kind of an ordeal and I don't want to hurt her. Probably going to try warm water and cotton swabs and continue with the eye medication.
I am hopeful because she isn't deteriorating, at least not that I have observed.

My two year old Peking, has been very healthy, developed a "belly" of sorts recently. I have been out of town and left her with my housemates.
They noticed she is walking funny and looks fat, she also has an eye swollen shut. They started treating her eyes right away.

This evening I picked her up and loved on her. I think her belly feels like it could be fat, but she seems disturbed when I press too much. Her eyes I will have to keep observing and treating. Everyone else seems healthy.

Does anyone know what might be a cause? I'm thinking water - belly or maybe a growth. I promise I will NOT let her suffer and I will do what is necessary. Unfortunately a vet is not an option at this time in my area.
I really appreciate any advice.
Thank you!

PS please excuse my run, it is under re-construction.
I have a sad update. She appeared to be improving slightly and at the most was not getting worse. Some of the bloat had gone down and she was eating and drinking like normal.
I had to go out of town again and while I was away my roommates found her in the run dead. I am not sure the cause, one suggested that her neck looked broken, but that really made no sense. Maybe two days later my favorite duck was killed by a mystery animal right as the evening turned dark...they did not find any tracks nor marks - she had been pulled into the fence though. My heart is so broken and the other ducks are grieving with me...seems odd over a couple of ducks, but they are part of the family. Thank you all for the help with my Peking - I think I was able to give her a few more good days :)

I have a sad update. She appeared to be improving slightly and at the most was not getting worse. Some of the bloat had gone down and she was eating and drinking like normal.
I had to go out of town again and while I was away my roommates found her in the run dead. I am not sure the cause, one suggested that her neck looked broken, but that really made no sense. Maybe two days later my favorite duck was killed by a mystery animal right as the evening turned dark...they did not find any tracks nor marks - she had been pulled into the fence though. My heart is so broken and the other ducks are grieving with me...seems odd over a couple of ducks, but they are part of the family. Thank you all for the help with my Peking - I think I was able to give her a few more good days :)
So sad for you and yoru two ducks. be sustained by happy memories and give you remaining flock extra love. Cyber hugs

Back
Top Bottom