Best age to kill for meat?

like said, depends on the bird you're raising. a cornish cross, 6-8 weeks. a freedom ranger, 12-14 weeks.

also depends on what you're planning on doing them. a fryer is not as big as a roaster, for example.

I raised freedom rangers this year and slaughtered at 13 weeks. I think that I should have let them go two more weeks. They dressed out just a tad small. Last year I raised dual purpose birds and they slaughtered slightly bigger. But the tendons were tough as they totally free ranged each day. But honestly the freedom rangers are the best birds I have ever eaten.

Processing a meat bird is really personal preference on how big of a finished product you want. I just butchered 4 cornish cross pullets on Monday and they were 11 weeks. Maybe a little on the larger side but someone gave me a bag of Purina Show Chow which is what I had been feeding so I kept feeding them for a few more weeks. I also work third shift with a day off every 4 days and work every other weekend so I don't have an ideal schedule for doing the deed.

Commercial producers will process at 5-6 weeks - recommended 8 weeks - as they put on more weight, it is more stressful on their legs as they are just not intended to carry a massive body weight.

Back
Top Bottom