Best Automatic Coop Door Opener? (Chicken Guard Door Was a Flop)

ObiHenKanobi

Chirping
Jul 1, 2020
Does anyone have an automatic coop door opener installed that they love?

We originally went with Chicken Guard but the door needs to be recalibrated on a daily basis and their support is not helpful - been going back and forth with them since August 24th. All they do is ask me to send them pictures of the inside of the motor, but never offer any troubleshooting suggestions. This week the door opener stopped working altogether after going completely haywire during recalibration. They never responded when I told them the door doesn't work anymore. // Edit: They just responded and are sending me a replacement system, which is awesome. Would still love to know what other systems people are using just in case. :)

Anyways.... what are the alternatives? Would love to get something setup to open/close the door on a timer or using daylight before the winter comes.

Thank you for any suggestions!

Last edited:
(Duplicating my post from another thread)

I have a JVR timer model I got from Amazon, and am pleased with it.

https://www.amazon.com/JVR-Automati...99884799&sprefix=jvr+automatic,aps,756&sr=8-6

With this model the door always hangs from the actuator arm, by a ~1.5" vertical slot ... that way if a bird gets in the way it will not be killed, and very likely will be able to pull its head out. Also, the door shuts very slowly, maybe 1 inch/second, and makes a distinctive whirring noise that the birds can recognize.

Thank you everyone! I am going to look into the alternatives. I thought the issue with ChickenGuard was resolved and they were sending a replacement but we are still going around in circles 3 weeks after I opened a ticket with them.

I actually bought the Chicken Guard Premium to replace the one I had and it works great so far. I like options it has. So far so good. I installed inside the coop.

Previously I had Brinsea Chicksafe Eco and it crapped the bed in about 6 months. The sensor adjuster didn't work and under the covered run, with a tree over it, on a cloudy day, the door wouldn't open at all.

Can't speak to the brands others recommended but perhaps you just got a faulty unit from Chicken Guard? The reviews were pretty good and it has been working well for me. Sorry about your experience.

I actually bought the Chicken Guard Premium to replace the one I had and it works great so far. I like options it has. So far so good. I installed inside the coop.

Previously I had Brinsea Chicksafe Eco and it crapped the bed in about 6 months. The sensor adjuster didn't work and under the covered run, with a tree over it, on a cloudy day, the door wouldn't open at all.

Can't speak to the brands others recommended but perhaps you just got a faulty unit from Chicken Guard? The reviews were pretty good and it has been working well for me. Sorry about your experience.

I'm going to keep an eye on this thread because I too have the ChickenGuard door, the basic one. We've had it installed now for about 2 weeks and so far, it's working fine. We even had heavy rains over the weekend and it still worked. We aren't using the sunrise/sunset sensor, we are manually setting the timer according to sunrise & sunset times., which obviously are changing rapidly as fall approaches. But so far our experience with ChickenGuard has been good.

I'm going to keep an eye on this thread because I too have the ChickenGuard door, the basic one. We've had it installed now for about 2 weeks and so far, it's working fine. We even had heavy rains over the weekend and it still worked. We aren't using the sunrise/sunset sensor, we are manually setting the timer according to sunrise & sunset times., which obviously are changing rapidly as fall approaches. But so far our experience with ChickenGuard has been good.

Same. We are using the timer as well. The amount of shade we have messes with it and we have trapped chickens!

We just installed 3 doors from Happy Hen House.. that went in easily and appear to work well THUS far... less than 1 month on.
https://happy-henhouse.myshopify.co...erated-automatic-chicken-coop-door-opener-kit

Being in the Pacific Northwest, on the coast where it's heavily wooded (shady) and often foggy or raining.. I KNEW light sensor would NOT work for me so I got the timer one.

There were other models that I felt were better (gear driven) but not for MY current set up, (partly because purchasing 3 is a hard hit to the budget for hobby chickens) The ease and cost of using AA batteries for a power source were probably my huge factors. These also seem like they will be sufficiently predator resistant for my current set up. The pop doors are on side/back walls, while the front wall is completely open hardware cloth. I expect more focus for entry would go to the area with an open view to the prize. My dogs patrolling the fences regularly REALLY helps keep things at bay.

Oh ya, another factor was speed of delivery.

I don't love them yet.. but I suspect I will once I move the birds into their new space and rain season starts!

Hope your issue resolves sooner than later! :fl

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom