How reliable are automatic coop doors?

Pics

ForFlocksSake

Songster
Jun 2, 2023
North Florida/Panhandle
Ive gone back and forth about getting an automatic door for our coop. I think I may have even made a post about it a while back. We have a coop attached to a run and do not free range. The run is secure but technically something could dig under. We aren't too concerned because we are in a neighborhood, have NEVER seen a raccoon, coyote, fox or possum, never had our trash messed with, and when my husband uses his stinky fish carcass fertilizer for the garden its never tampered with. We also have a 6 foot wooden privacy fence around our entire yard and are enclosed by fences on three sides from other neighbors. we also have a large yard full of dog smells from our 4 hounds. The entire perimeter of our home has cameras and none have EVER caught an animal other than a deer and stray cat. I know there is still a risk, but for now we aren't concerned.

That being said, I have no desire to test our predator theory once the sun goes down. I go out every evening to shut the coop door (which is an extremely secure coop) and open it when the sun comes up. It's not the biggest deal in the world to do it but I wonder if Id be happier with an auto door. I know there are a bunch out there and im mostly looking at the run chicken one, but I guess my question is how many people are thrilled with their auto doors and how many regret it or hate it. I have wifi cameras inside the run so I could check to see the door is shut at night and open in the morning, but has anyone here had an incident where the auto door didn't open or close? Anyone have an incident that had them go back to a manual door?

I'm a fan of the Omlet door....my only issue was the sensor didn't open and close the door when I thought it should so I just went to the time feature and it works great. I have only adjusted it a couple of times and it takes 30 seconds to do. I want mine open very early since my food and water are not in the coop so they could come off the roost and go to the feed and water right away.

I'm a fan of the Omlet door....my only issue was the sensor didn't open and close the door when I thought it should so I just went to the time feature and it works great. I have only adjusted it a couple of times and it takes 30 seconds to do. I want mine open very early since my food and water are not in the coop so they could come off the roost and go to the feed and water right away.
I looked at that one but I think horizontal would work best for our setup.

I've heard great things about the Ador 1. Lots of folks on here have them and love them....they are vertical opening I believe
I checked out their website the other day. I’ll be honest- the instructions and programming overwhelmed me 😂 also I didn’t like how there isn’t an option to program times for open and close. It’s light activated only.

Added a T50 Run Chicken in 2021, has been a great investment and hasn't had any issues. I have it installed between their permanent coop/run structure and 2nd secure run. Easy to program, can also be toggled manually, runs off batteries, has time settings and light sensor for options.

I like the door enough that lately I've been contemplating adding a 2nd one to let them out of their 2nd run, for free-ranging in the evenings only. Hesitating because of past predator issues and I don't need something figuring out their schedule of when they get let out the secure area, because that happened with the morning schedule before the 2nd run was fully secure with overhead protection

Back
Top Bottom