Automatic chicken door issues

I have an automatic chicken door that opens left to right. I literally have to clean the track daily or it won't shut. Anyone have an solutions for this problem?
Can't say I have ever seen a horizontal moving one. I wouldn't think it would be a good design because of the very thing you are having problems with.

Can you post any pictures of it and maybe I can figure out something

Photos would help. My guess is you didn't elevate the door (so it sits at floor level) which is what's allowing bedding to fall into the track. Adding a board to help hold back the bedding might help, but hard to say until I see what you're working with.

I would say that you will have to install the door higher. It has to be high enough so that stuff cannot get onto the track.
Ideally you want it so that there is a bar on both sides of the door that chickens have to step onto. That should help to clean their feet.
However, like others have said, it is a bad design. You can mitigate the issues somewhat but they will always exist.

... Anyone have an solutions for this problem?
It was a learning process.

I ended up building a fully enclosed run area open 24/7; I no longer use my side-to-side pop door.

I did make mistakes that resulted in a raccoon intrusion and loss of a hen. I also expect that something will deteriorate and I will lose more/have to repair. The net gain for me and my flock is significant and well worth it.

Ted,
Others have made a good point to either elevate or 'block' the door to keep the debris from getting to it. Our door (Pullet-Shut) swings with a hinge. With our door, a little debris is not an issue at all. Your last message implies that you're well aware of how sneaky predators are... they want their chicken dinner. Having a working door might mean getting a different model, but it can protect your hens in the future... and look at rising meat prices, hens are expensive and getting moreso!

"Tracks" are a real issue for sliding doors, either horizontal or vertical. With all the dirt/dust/debris, eventually the track will get jammed up. I wish you well, whichever path you choose.

Can't say I have ever seen a horizontal moving one. I wouldn't think it would be a good design because of the very thing you are having problems with.

Can you post any pictures of it and maybe I can figure out something
Yes picture would help to be able to see the situation and give advice.

Till then, it has already been said. Move the door up if you can. I always recommend putting the door 6" minimum from the coop floor, but if you can't do that then get it up as high as you can.

Alternately Put a board around 1" higher than the door track, and all the way 4" past the each side of door. Get a soft long bristle brush with a thin handle. Bristle should be soft but springy. Screw the handle to the board just so it barely lays over the track. That should keep most of the stuff out and not get in the way of the door. Hard part will be finding the right brush. Might need to get a few small ones.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom