best brand of chicken feed?

So in have been feeding dumor chicken feed layer crumble although birds are healthy on it i got my first two eggs and I read a review once that with dumor there eggs aren't as rich/dark yellow.... Well same happens to me cracked open my first egg and looks store bought... I have found a feed mill in our area I don't know the brand but they have a layer mash that's 22 percent protein and 4 calcium... Was thinking about switching to that, or all flock purina I always used to feed when I lived out west but seemed they had more natural forms of calcium in the ground but I could just keep oyster shell available as I already am, or switch to just purina layer, I also have turkeys I am feeding too so that's one reason I would like higher protein? Any suggestions on what you guys use and what seems best?
I do also have access to nutrina as well although they seem about the same as purina just more expensive? Except no higher protein food...

I do also have access to nutrina as well although they seem about the same as purina just more expensive? Except no higher protein food...
Ok adding one more thing... Lol the 22 percent 4.5 calcium is pride and pleasure brand...

This is a very interesting thread. Where, I live, I am severely limited on what I feed my chickens. I'm currently giving them 50:50 Country Feeds (Nutrena) Gamebird/Turkey Grower 21% : Pruina Layena Sunfresh Recipe. I mix them because the Purina only provides 16% protein. I supplement their diet with greens, fruit and insects from my garden along with oyster shells.

I did some research and compared Nutrena and Purina with the following brands: 'King's Organic Layer Pellets', "Buckeye Nutrition", and "Blue Seal OrganicLife Layer Pellets."

This is what I found out:
Protein, Lysine, Methionine, crude fat, crude fiber, calcium, ash, phosphorus and sodium percentages were pretty much identical for all of the brands listed above.

Really, their is no difference in the nutritional value, but a difference in whether or not it is organic. I'd much rather feed my chickens organic food because it is more environmentally friendly, pesticide/herbicide/GMO/GE free, but Nutrena and Purina aren't bad choices if you don't care about organic.

This is what I found out:
Protein, Lysine, Methionine, crude fat, crude fiber, calcium, ash, phosphorus and sodium percentages were pretty much identical for all of the brands listed above.

You need to also look at the rest of the ingredient list, are there any specialty ingredients that would improve the health and productivity of your chickens. Ingredients such as Direct Fed Microbials, Chelated Minerals, Yeast Products, etc. can have a big impact and one their inclusion is not included in the Nutrient Analysis of the feed.

Quote: So, these are items that should be in their feed, right? Purina and Nutrena feed contain different chelated minerals, but they don't have direct fed microbials though. I do give them yogurt every couple of months, so they do get live probiotic cultures that way. Both brands do say "dried (microbial name) fermentation product" so I'm assuming that means they genetically modified a bunch of microorganisms to synthesize vitamins and added those to the feed.

Last edited:
Hello, may I be included? To bump up the protein on my Purina's By adding Sportman's Choice Catfish and pond fish feed. Cheap and high in protein.

I admit, we open their gates to free range in the morning and lock them up at night BUT they do have large self feeders and waterers for them when they return to their Hutches & Pens within each gated lot so they are never without.

They usually dont touch the self feeders or waterers if my hubby has taken down another tree for stored fire wood or plowed an area of the garden to get their attention from tearing up the turf.

They always prefer to rip into the fresh tilled soil than eat packaged feed. Just like they prefer to play along the creek edge than drink their water from a faucet.

Thank you for the clarification Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay. I did a quick google search I think understand what it means. It's basically feeding livestock non-pathogenic microbials in order to boost the immune system and normal microbiota. Right?

Hi ApiaryandAviary, of course you can be included in this discussion. My chickens also prefer digging around the compost and pecking at the dandelions and grass over their store bought feed. Your chickens sound lucky to be able to have access to a creek.

Back
Top Bottom