Feed for my 12 Week old chicks

Baileybunchx5

Songster
Mar 1, 2023
Maryland
I have 12 week old Chicks. I am having a hard time finding Chick starter/grower feed lately. 1. Is it ok to switch them to a layer feed crumble? 2. What brands does everyone prefer? 3. nearby for me I have the options of: Homestead brand, and also Poulin Grain. There is of course the tractor supply brands of: Purina, Dumor, and Nutrena.

Thank You

I have 12 week old Chicks. I am having a hard time finding Chick starter/grower feed lately. 1. Is it ok to switch them to a layer feed crumble? 2. What brands does everyone prefer? 3. nearby for me I have the options of: Homestead brand, and also Poulin Grain. There is of course the tractor supply brands of: Purina, Dumor, and Nutrena.

Thank You
At 12 weeks old they can go into an All Flock. Until they are laying, the don’t need the extra calcium and it could cause issues. Look for brands with All Flock in the name with a higher protein like 18-20%. They can actually stay on all flock even after they start laying as long as you provide oyster shell on the side in a different feeder.

You can switch them to an all flock type feed, and have a container of oyster shell free choice when they get closer to laying. I like doing it this way because no matter what I have in my flock; rooster, chicks, hens, everyone gets what they need and there is no shuffling or separating to mess with.

At 12 weeks old they can go into an All Flock. Until they are laying, the don’t need the extra calcium and it could cause issues. Look for brands with All Flock in the name with a higher protein like 18-20%. They can actually stay on all flock even after they start laying as long as you provide oyster shell on the side in a different feeder.
Any brand preferences? Just curious

We all have preferences, but what you can get consistently that is fresh is a big factor. That said, Purina, Dumor, and Nutrena are all good feeds.
If I put them out when the chicks are too young will if hurt them or will they just ignore it?

Back
Top Bottom