best brand of chicken feed?

It doesn't matter. Purina/Dumor are both owned by Land O' Lakes. Dumor was recalled less than 2 years ago: http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm313507.htm
I wouldn't use them, nor recommend them.
To be all honest I don't believe that Dumor is made by Purina anymore.
I believe the last recall Cargill had it included Nutrena, Dumor, Producers Pride, and Showmaster.

Also if your going to "boycott" Land-O-Lake feeds even if there not on the recall list then you better lengthen that list you have a whole lot more and to include the organic feeds that Purina makes along with Nutrena feeds since Cargill makes Nuterena and is also affiliated with Land-O-Lake.
wink.png

It most certainly contains scratch grains, which Our Roost was asking about (a scratch with extra protein). The Nitro Scratch is another by the same mill which has more protein content than common 3 way scratch.

It may contain grains in the mix but it is not a scratch grain mix.

Note Scratch Grain , once you add a pellet to a grain mix it is no longer a grain mix and no longer a scratch grain.

As for there "Nitro Scratch" that is a scratch grain (no pellet) and is 10% protein, the average "3 way scratch" is around 8% protein +/- not all that much difference.

I do like the way the Rojo feed says, "No inferior proteins such as safflower or sunflower meal" but the picture they have posted of the mix has safflower seeds in it.

To be all honest I don't believe that Dumor is made by Purina anymore.
I believe the last recall Cargill had it included Nutrena, Dumor, Producers Pride, and Showmaster.

Also if your going to "boycott" Land-O-Lake feeds even if there not on the recall list then you better lengthen that list you have a whole lot more and to include the organic feeds that Purina makes along with Nutrena feeds since Cargill makes Nuterena and is also affiliated with Land-O-Lake.
wink.png

Dumor is manufactured by Purina as a store brand for Tractor Supply Co. You're not telling me anything I don't already know regarding those feeds. That's why I don't use them.

It may contain grains in the mix but it is not a scratch grain mix.

Note Scratch Grain , once you add a pellet to a grain mix it is no longer a grain mix and no longer a scratch grain.

As for there "Nitro Scratch" that is a scratch grain (no pellet) and is 10% protein, the average "3 way scratch" is around 8% protein +/- not all that much difference.

I do like the way the Rojo feed says, "No inferior proteins such as safflower or sunflower meal" but the picture they have posted of the mix has safflower seeds in it.

You are trying hard aren't you, lol. 16% isn't bad for a predominant "scratch grain" product I used an example for someone other than you (since they asked). 10% is still higher than 8%. He asked for higher, there's another example. You can stick to Purina,Dumor, or whatever you want to use. BTW safflower meal is considered a by-product of safflower seeds after oil is extracted, so you didn't make any revelation with that analysis.

Last edited:
Quote:
I know you asked Michael, but I use sweet feed for horses. It's an all oats in a molasses base. At least things stick to it. I can add whatever I want to it. I use it as scratch and they get some at dinner time. At least it has some nutrition added (complete diet for a horse) it's better than no nutritional value. It's whole oats and crimped oats and oat pellets.

Last edited:
Thanks people! Iam going to pose my concern to our grainery expert as he is also a chicken farmer. If you put a bowl of scratch and a bowl of crumbles in front of your chickens, which one will they eat first? Ha ha.

I like working with a local custom mill for our poultry feed. That way I can specify ingredients to include or exclude. I do buy in bulk.

I investigated a lot of different feeds before I settled on this idea.

Dumor is manufactured by Purina as a store brand for Tractor Supply Co. You're not telling me anything I don't already know regarding those feeds. That's why I don't use them.
I know that Dumor and Producers Pride is the store brand for TSC and I know that at one time it was produced by Purina but, lately Dumor and Producers Pride ( grain and chicken feed ) is coming up on Cargill's recalls.

Thanks people! Iam going to pose my concern to our grainery expert as he is also a chicken farmer. If you put a bowl of scratch and a bowl of crumbles in front of your chickens, which one will they eat first? Ha ha.

That's a no-brainer, LOL for brains the size of a pea! Hmmm, pie, or meatloaf, LOL

Back
Top Bottom