best brand of chicken feed?

Michael, it never dawned on me til a few weeks ago that if I'm feeding 16% chicken feed and my chickens free range, get treats, and such, their diet really isn't 16% protein is it. Which is their minimum requirement. This thread sure has a lot of micro subjects, and I'm to blame too, not that it bothers me, but there is some really good info in here , and even the off topics can get one thinking about some pretty important stuff.

It depends on what they ingest on range that has nutritional value. Mine range an hour or more a day when I'm home. I rotate between 2 flocks. The way I see it, so long as my birds have good appetites, are at a good weight, have tight droppings, have glossy feathers, and have bright red combs, they are not bearing any nutritional deficiency or disease. I feed a 17% layer ration, a 15% scratch/pellet mixture as a treat, and supply granite grit and oyster shell. I try to supplement a milk protein in feed once a week (usually 1% buttermilk, goat or sheep milk). I don't have digestion issues doing it that way, though I'd recommend doing scant amounts in the beginning when introducing it to diet. I supplement water with vitamins 2-3 times a week, and Probiotic soluble in waterers once a week. I change things up with supplementation depending on time of year, whether or not they are in moult, breeding season, or depending on what I witness in appearance and activity. I handle them regularly to look their bodies over when on the roosts at night.

I, personally, prefer a higher protein percentage than 16% in my feed for adults, with the calcium on the side. That makes the feed more flexible, IMO. 

I can mix the two feeds half and half and get 18.5%......BUT can the chicks eat that? It would be half laying mash and half chick starter.I am thinking they should not have the calcium. But if it is cut in half would it hurt them?

Anyone has any experience with Agway Hearty Hen Layer? It has been 4 weeks since I switched to this soy-free, Omega 3 enriched pellet, my 24 weeks old hens still don't like it.

I can mix the two feeds half and half and get 18.5%......BUT can the chicks eat that? It would be half laying mash and half chick starter.I am thinking they should not have the calcium. But if it is cut in half would it hurt them?

The advice I've received are always to not give the chicks excess calcium. I believe earlier in this thread I posted links about why.

I have my chicks in with my adults and everyone gets the same feed ... a higher protein lower calcium feed with all the nutrients babies and breeding birds need ... kinda like Purina Flock Raiser or Paybacks All Purpose Poultry feed. The calcium for the layers is on the side.

Other people will give you the exact opposite advice and say they feed layer feed to their chicks.

Anyone has any experience with Agway Hearty Hen Layer? It has been 4 weeks since I switched to this soy-free, Omega 3 enriched pellet, my 24 weeks old hens still don't like it.

If you posted the tag info people could offer opinions about the recipe. Some of the Omega 3 enhancing stuff can make eggs taste nasty (and probably isn't necessary if the birds have pastures). Some soy substitutes aren't an improvement over soy.

Back
Top Bottom