best brand of chicken feed?

I only have 3 choices where I live, Purina, Nutrena and Arizona Brand. I had heard bad things on here about the Arizona not being consistent with their ingredients/quality. I am currently feeding Purina but am also hearing bad things about them now. Is anyone familiar with Nutrena?

my animals never cared much for nutrena feeds but there is nothing wrong in trying what's available and feeding what they like best....some of us are sprouting grains and it seems my birds are doing better with bigger eggs and seeming not hungry all the time...I sprout re cleaned wheat (their favorite) oats and barley and BOSS. Re cleaned grains are what the farmers plant around here no fungicides on it just seed it all depends on what you want to do and fits your lifestyle. Oh and the taste of the eggs is even better because I live where their is no grass until after Thanksgiving that's why I gave sprouting a try....

In a bucket...Organics North drills holes in the inside bucket like a strainer me I have old horse buckets with stress or sun cracks so I dump the grain in there and rinse it every day sometimes every other it takes 4 or 5 days to get them to sprout unless it's 110 like last week..just enough for the sprout to show my birds love them. If you go to her BYC page Organics North has a recipe for using sprouting grains

I used to buy Burkmanns but they left town. Now I am buying ADM which is more expensive and futher to get. It is my only choice since everyone else only sells Purina. ADM is a more complete feed having both animal and plant protiens. It is not truelly to my liking as there so called pelleted is more like a large crumble. But at least it is better than purina.

Quote:
When I sprout grain I just add a few cans of oats (or grain) in a bucket and add *apple juice* to cover the oats.
After 3 or 4 days I drain and top there feed with it...

Note:
* Apple Juice* Raw or Organic is perfused.
I like apple juice better than plain water. Apple juice will add vitamin C and help with the sprouting/ fermenting process.
You may have to refill the bucket with apple juice after a day or two. Oats (grain) will soak a bit of it up...

If you like you could add a Vitamin mix like Rooster Booster Poultry Cell to the drained sprouted/ fermented mix at.
With the Rooster Booster you add 1 to 3 cc per bird per day.
Rooster Booster adds:
Copper
Cobalt
Magnesium
Manganese
Zinc
Selenium
Vitamin A
Vitamin D-3
Vitamin E
Vitamin B-12
Menadione (Vitamin K-3)
Riboflavin (Vitamin B-2)
Pyridoxine (Vitamin B-6)
Folic Acid
d-Panthothenic Acid
Niacinamide
Thiamine (Vitamin B-1)
Alanine
Arginine
Aspartic Acid
Cystine
Glutamic Acid
Glycine
Histidine
Isoleucine
Lysine
Methionine
Phenyla Lanine
Proline
Serine
Threonine
Tryptophan
Tyrosine
Valine

Chris

I get mine from specer feed here in Ohio and its a custum mix they sell 9 bucks a bag all hand made whole grains, oyster shell, alfalfa meal etc etc etc etc

My chickens have been having problems lately, I've been feed them Purina Layena Pellets. No Kent dealers around here but I found several
Blue Seal dealers near by. Would you say Blue Seal Feed is far better than Purina Mills Feed?

Back
Top Bottom