best brand of chicken feed?

Quote:
I'm currently using Dumor also, but after buying this bag I read that it isn't good and it makes the chx poop runny and stinky, and sure enough that turned out to be true. Trying to find what to switch to now.

When we first picked up our chicks from Tractor Supply we used the Dumor because that was all they had. Did not want to keep the girls on this so I found Green Mountain organic starter mash at the local Agway. Never had any stinky poop with the Green Mountain. They are now getting the Green Mountain grower pellets and we are heard pressed to smell anything in their coop or run. Yes, it costs a little more, but a 50 lb. bag lasts us a long time with only six pullets. So far the girls appear healthy, and they eat it without any problems.

I'm waiting to see if Green Mountain comes out with a no soy feed as they said they are testing in another thread here. After reading all the negatives about soy I want to eliminate that if possible. There are other organic feeds around, but none in my area, and the shipping is way expensive when ordering on the internet.

Try to see if you can find another brand, regular or organic, which works better for you. Also, giving your chicks some plain whole milk organic yogurt does wonders if their poop is runny. It gives them the good bacteria for proper digestion. They may not like it at first, but put a little on the end of your fingers and they will peck at it to get the taste. Then stand back because they will try to take your fingers off to get at the yogurt. My girls see me coming with a dish of it and run around and make a fuss till I put it down for them. We give it a couple of times a week and they have had great non-smelling poop.

well i feed purina but it really doesnt matter what ever you have in your store they will all keep them alive

After reading this thread last night I went out to see what brand I feed (hanging head in shame). In my defense, it's the only brand, the only supply within 30 miles sells and the chickens seem to like it and to stay well. Thank goodness it's Blue Seal.... now I won't feel duty bound to read all the research on soy!
hmm.png
Great thread with lots of good info and opinions, as usual. Way to go BYCers!

Quote:
How do you tell what a chickens "crop" is full of? I'm new to this, and I know they eat grit to help digest food -- which I guess is held in their "crop", but I don't actually know what a crop is and how to tell what is in it vs. what should be in it.....

Has anyone tried Bluebonnet? I loved Bluebonnet when I had horses and could tell a difference so I wanted to try their poultry feed. BTW- I read though the product tag for Purina carefully and it does not have ground up baby chicks as has been suggested in this thread. In fact their website states: Natural Plant Proteins FREE of all animal proteins and fats for healthy, happy birds. which supports what their product tag states in their listed ingredients.

The biggest difference I can see between the two product tags is the addition of fish meal in the Bluebonnet and no other animal proteins are listed. Also, Purina's first ingredient listed is "Grain products" where Bluebonnet specifies all the grains starting with "Sunflower Meal".

We use Agway. Are lucky to live within 4 miles of them and a Blue Seal Feed store. We use Agway because when pullets they don't like the pellets and Agway's crumbles are bigger than Blue Seal's (closer to a mash) so less waste. Agway here is also a buck cheaper.

Back
Top Bottom