best brand of chicken feed?

If ever there was a subject that is confusing and full of differing options and opinions, this is it. After reading 15 pages of this thread I am still not certain what to feed my ladies when we make the switch to layer feed. I definitely want to stay organic, as we are now, but the controversy over soy, fish meal, field peas not being tasty enough, and all the other ingredients, has my head spinning.

Soy is in many organic feeds. It is the main ingredient to get the protein up to proper levels. Many people have issues with soy, and simply don't want it in their feed. Fish meal has its proponents and its detractors. Some say it is great, and others worry about where the fish comes from, and that there are no truly organic fish to make meal from. Then there is the issue of the fish meal going rancid.

Also, there is the issue of where to find the feed. Trying to buy local can be a challenge for some of us. Shipping in the feed has cost factors involved too. And, after reading enough articles on making your own feed, it seems to be not too cost effective and a real problem getting the protein and other nutrient levels right.

Commercial feed has many problems too. If you want to go commercial for the convenience of finding it, you have to be willing to sacrifice staying non-GMO. And how many do I read love Purina Layena, and how many say it is horrible? Same with many other commercial brands.

I am clueless as to what is the "best" brand of chicken feed, as the title of this thread says. i use Green Mountain organics right now, and I am wondering if the soy in it is a good or bad thing to have. At times I feel like I want to throw the whole organic thing over the wall and buy a commercial brand simply because it is made by a larger company who must be in a position to hire nutritional experts to make sure their feed is properly balanced and has all the necessary nutrients for healthy chickens. But then I get back to the GMO, pesticide, and where were those grains and ingredients sourced. Try reading a Purina label and tell me what and where those plant based items come from. And what plant grains are they? i did not see any revealed on the label.

Okay, I'm done ranting. I simply want an easy answer to what would work, is safe, and brings all the necessary healthy ingredients in one package. Right now we try to feed the girls better than we do ourselves. At least we think we do. Finding the best feed that meets ours and the chicken's requirements should be so much easier than this.

Quote:
X2 .... so confused
idunno.gif

steve&kris :

Quote:
How do you tell what a chickens "crop" is full of? I'm new to this, and I know they eat grit to help digest food -- which I guess is held in their "crop", but I don't actually know what a crop is and how to tell what is in it vs. what should be in it.....

The crop should be full at the end of the day, but should feel soft and squishy I think. MY birds crop felt very firm and like it was filled with sand and gravel. I dissected it afterwards and found exactly that, stuffed full of sand and small pebbles.​

A very interesting thread! Back in my FFA days in the late 60's Purina chows was THE feed.
My projects were hogs and laying hens. The Purina dealer in Paducah was in a very old
warehouse building with a very well worn tongue and groove floor and the place had a very pleasant aroma to it.
No doubt to the spilled feed and grain from torn bags in the floor grooves that couldn't be swept up.
I have been feeding 24% Dumor Chick Starter in my breeding program for 3+ years now and have had good success.
One feed for everyone with oyster shello available has worked out well. I hatch with "biobators" so the chicks
are taught what is good and not so good by their mothers. And my flock free ranges on good grass.
I have tried the Flock Raiser and my chickens just didn't eat it like they do the Dumor. Go figure.
I do find one of Purina's selling points amusing that their feed is made from grains "grown in the sun".

Last edited:
Quote:
This is one of the points that makes me suspicious. Like we are that dumb to think we would not know this is the way grains grow. And this becomes a selling point? I surely don't think there are hydroponic grain farms hiding in the bowels of the earth somewhere cranking out food grains.

Quote:
This is one of the points that makes me suspicious. Like we are that dumb to think we would not know this is the way grains grow. And this becomes a selling point? I surely don't think there are hydroponic grain farms hiding in the bowels of the earth somewhere cranking out food grains.

Maybe they wanted to distinguish themselves from hydroponic grain farms in orbit?

Quote:
How do you tell what a chickens "crop" is full of? I'm new to this, and I know they eat grit to help digest food -- which I guess is held in their "crop", but I don't actually know what a crop is and how to tell what is in it vs. what should be in it.....

The crop should be full at the end of the day, but should feel soft and squishy I think. MY birds crop felt very firm and like it was filled with sand and gravel. I dissected it afterwards and found exactly that, stuffed full of sand and small pebbles.

tommboy, thanks for the info! where do you feel for the crop to see that it is full, but soft and squishy? Is it down around their belly or up in the chest? Is this something I should be checking regularly or just if a chicken seems to not be doing well?

thanks!

steve&kris :

Quote:
The crop should be full at the end of the day, but should feel soft and squishy I think. MY birds crop felt very firm and like it was filled with sand and gravel. I dissected it afterwards and found exactly that, stuffed full of sand and small pebbles.

tommboy, thanks for the info! where do you feel for the crop to see that it is full, but soft and squishy? Is it down around their belly or up in the chest? Is this something I should be checking regularly or just if a chicken seems to not be doing well?

thanks!​

The crop when its full should show a lump on the side of their neck down low. That's where they store the food they gather during the day. it moves from there to the gizzard where it gets ground up. I found a link to a diagram.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=510715

Look down to post number 4 has a great diagram.

Back
Top Bottom