Best breed for backyard coop?

I have 2 Barred Rocks and they are only loud when they see me. When I spy on them and they don't know I am there- they hardly make a peep. I also have 2 Black Australorps and they make even less noise. Both are great egg laying breed and friendly. I would try the Australorps if I were you.

x2 I have 2 BAs too and agree - they are very quiet and good egg layers. They are also very docile and friendly.

.. and KIDS - human kids make noise - I know, I raised 6 of them and the neighbours raised many more,,, so do dogs, cats - cows & cars (lived across the road from some top notch engine mechanics - but they were loud) - trains - all provide noise & distraction and basis of complaint. We now have 18 hens involving 13 breeds (two are guaranteed mutts) - only two are yakky, and not all the time, ususally you wouldn't know there were hens on the property

Wow I'm so excited about all of your responses! You all are amazing for giving me your opinions! I'm still planning on weeding out the noisy hens from my Cochins that I'm raising right now, but I might get a few bantys now that I've read through all the responses here. Again, thank you everyone for your input!

I've had chickens for around 10 years. I've lived on small acreage lots, 3 to 10 acres so I've never had complaints. My experience with noise is similar to others in that, they'll make more noise when laying, or when they're being threatened. The exception is if two roosters are going at it for top dog (or rooster) or when one rooster is trying to "horn" in on another roosters harem. I have three roosters, all laid/hatched at one time or another mostly 6 to 9 months apart. So,10 hens of various breeds and three roosters of mixed breed, primarilly bantam. I have found one way to quite them; I heard this somewhere and tried it and it either works or I THINK it does. (a plecebo for me?) I placed an old radio in the hen house and tuned it to the softer type music. "KLUV" or a type that doesn't carry heavy metal if you know what I mean. I think it works and , I also think they become more relaxed in the coop and lay more. It's winter up here in Montana and I'm still getting 5 eggs a day. Of course I also have a 600 watt sealed oil heater and the sides are all insulated. They come and go through a 8x10" door anytime they want. And one thing to think about; I bought a couple of Guinea Hens because I heard they made great watch dogs for the chickens. NOISIEST DANG BIRDS I EVER HEARD! At least they let me know when the skunks were at the coop. When I got rid of the skunks I got rid of the Guinea's.

I have a small flock (4 birds) that do very well in my neighborhood. They are Black Austrolorp hens. They are non agressive and very quiet, great egg layers (I get 4 eggs almost every day) I buy a bag of feed about every month and a half and they free range in the garden. I keep their wings clipped so they stay in the fence. They come to meet me when it is time for breakfast and seem to enjoy the company.
Hope this helps

Well wasn't going to Hatch tell later in the year. Boy you all are bad influences. I have more chickens than I need but I love those babies.
May have to buy some cochin banty egges from a friend. A trip again 30 miles both ways. Maybe mine will start laying by then. My marans are laying All different colors (separated by color) I'd like to hatch the wheatens but rooster isn't working really well has been under the weather. The splash marans young and so are the BC marans hens he is in with. It would be nice to hatch all blue babies....
I will have to see what kind of eggs I have come MARCH 17Th Happy Hatching to all of you amblers LOL Sueg California

Cochins are certainly docile, and quiet the hens that is, but they do not lay much at all, in fact one of the worst I have had. I like Barred Rocks. They are somewhat sciddish but then what chicken isn't? except maybe Cochins. The barred rock lay very well.

I have 3 gold laced wyandottes and they are an ideal bird for me.. They lay an egg a day, are beautiful, very docile, friendly, quiet and for the most part, you don't know they are there.

I have buff orpingtons, a chochin, a brahma, a sicilian buttercup, and a rir. My chocin is the sweetest of them all and the most docile. The orps rule the roost and are beautiful. The buttercup flies out of the run everyday and spends a lot of time alone. My brahma is large and loud :) And my rir is the stinkiest :p She is the most inquisitive as well. I guess my sweet cochin is the quietest. I would love to see her as a mother
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom