Best breed for backyard coop?

I started with 5 red-sex-linked and 5 black-sex-linked. One was killed by a friend's dog, and a second was snatched by a cat or coon. My black Bonnie was stolen and bitten by a cat, but I nursed her back to full, fluffy health. The girls are hardy, friendly, quiet, and wonderful layers - they give us 6 - 8 large brown eggs every day, even in freezing weather, and they aren't yet a year old! Several local Farmer's Market sellers agree with us that they are tops for laying hens. Don't give up!

Boy...I agree with you that RIR are mean. They were some of my first chickens and I 'always' handle my chickens alot so that they are 'pets' also but the 2 I had used to bite and draw blood! I have mentioned this to others and they kind of dismissed it but I won't have them anymore.

I just added 3 Salmon Faverolles to my group of Cochins yesterday! They are the sweetest chicks! I'm excited to see if I get some sweet, quiet ones from this batch! Hopefully 4 out of 11 will be!

We have a mixed flock and I cannot help myself from adding during the coming spring hatch.
jumpy.gif
Looking at an australorp, EE and maybe a polish. So many things to consider! Our ameraucana and silver-laced wyandotte are somewhat flighty ~ they fly over the gate into the main yard on a regular basis. Our RIR is the boss, and she is loud only when bullying a sister hen out of the favorite nesting box. My favorite is our light sussex, but she is broody and typically stretches her vocals when uncooped early in the morning; otherwise she is calm and lays large eggs. The buff orpington likes to announce her egg arrivals and if spooked she will go on for a while. Filling out the flock: black star sex-link and a barred rock, both reliable layers.

I heard Buff Orps are not very good foragers, but I do like the way they look.
And my local feed store happened to have some, so I bought three chicks to add to my flock.
So far I've got the Buff Orps, RIRs, Black Astralorps, Barred Rocks, Light Sussex, Silkies, Guineas, EEs, and Polish mixes.
big_smile.png

I heard Buff Orps are not very good foragers, but I do like the way they look.
And my local feed store happened to have some, so I bought three chicks to add to my flock.
So far I've got the Buff Orps, RIRs, Black Astralorps, Barred Rocks, Light Sussex, Silkies, Guineas, EEs, and Polish mixes.
big_smile.png
Sounds like a great flock,any questions?

Mille Fleur d'uccle chickens lay a decent sized small egg for a banty, and my hen is as quiet as can be.  They are beautiful birds, too.  My salmon faverolles are also quiet, very sweet, layed back, and lay good size large eggs.  We have 21 different breeds and those are the most quiet.
[/quote/]
I agree on the d'uccle breed.
My porcelain d'uccle girls are also very quiet. My other bantams are very noisy but these girls only get riled when laying an egg our when something is wrong. And even then their little voices are barely heard across the yard.

Breed suggestions?

I'm looking for 4-6 hens that are relatively quiet (individual personality aside), will be good layers, and are suitable to the Bay Area climate. I'm nearly always home and in the backyard, have 2 AmStaff puppies (18 & 8 moths old) and a 4600 sq ft backyard with roses, fruit trees, and plenty of vegies and other flowers.

Does the breed really make a difference? I know that each bird has its own character. Also,aside from my dogs, can anyone tell me about other predators in Silicon Valley that I will need to protect against?

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom