Best Breeds For Free Ranging?

> chickens are NOT related to reptilian dinosaurs

Clearly fake news, or misunderstood article. Yes, the direct ancestors of chicken were birds. Genetic analysis show that Galliformes diverged from ducks around 82 millions of years ago, and then chicken diverged again from guinea fowl around 41 millions of years ago. Phasianidae appeared some time later and split in three groups, Gallus are placed in the second group, the so called "non erectile clade" and is a relativelty modern genus, like half of the time than Guinea fowl or Quails are living on earth. Red junglefowl, Gallus gallus, clucks the earth since like 5 millions of years or so.

But the ancestors of all this birds were theropod dinosaurs.

Last edited:
I literally have a little bit of everything...my best roosters in terms of aerial awareness are my golden sebright, who sees everything ,my jubilee orpington ,and my homebrew ameraucana x legbar rooster ( but he was raised with the flock by my golden sebright hen who is very aware,flighty etc)

Anyway my dog flick included 2 blue andalusian, 2 sebrights ,a mille fleur d'uccle bantam, 3 easter eggers
Next group 3 jubilee orpington and 2 mille fleur d'uccle crosses ( sold as purebreds )

Then we ADDED A Ameraucaunas,legbars, a black andalusian, some black and blue copper maran a light and dark brahma a salmon favorable Dominique partridge cochin standard and 2 bantams, etc etc

My point..the birds that sleep highest up in the trees( it was 4 dark brahma,Egyptian fayouma, standard partridge cochin, and a dominique) the fayoumi starved herself by not leaving my elderly dogs side during his last days ( died on day of scheduled euthanasia) she spent her days with him before the last week but slept with her buddies when he got really weak she never left his side and was found dead next to him, next to the hole being dug in the pasture to bury him

So I have 2 heavy breeds that sleep 15-18 feet up

My bantams have raised multiple clutches with no assistance.

My birds have been exclusively free ranged for over 2 years

I had a bird killed in a strong coop when she ran me over to get in..she was the neighbors puppy, she had never been taught no...

I think the most important thing isn't breed, but instead it's about having lots of places to hide and being able to get away

I’m wondering which breeds best survive airborne predators? In terms of awareness, canniness, running speed, agility, and foraging skills. Live in the Southwest. Chickens are for eggs. Chicken will free range during the day and be in a coop at night. Given bag feed. Ample places to hide.
Someone at feed store suggested Cream Legbars….
I’m not looking to avoid purchasing feed by free ranging. I’m just looking for chickens that won’t stick out
(white). Looking for chickens who won’t just stand around waiting to be picked off by hawks, owls, and so on.
For eggs, I agree with the brown leghorn suggestion. They are considered a high production type. They are a Mediterranean type bird, smaller/thinner, less heavily feathered (so can handle heat better), and they can run and fly pretty well. But, the brown coloring will help.

I do have to say though, that we once had Dark brown leghorns from an exhibition line. Simply gorgeous. But, took forever for them to start laying. This was likely due to the fact they were exhibition quality, so not selected for egg laying.

My neighbor got some regular brown leghorns and they laid really nice eggs, and lots of them regularly.
Isa Brown's. Ours has always been resilient.

I’m wondering which breeds best survive airborne predators? In terms of awareness, canniness, running speed, agility, and foraging skills. Live in the Southwest. Chickens are for eggs. Chicken will free range during the day and be in a coop at night. Given bag feed. Ample places to hide.
Someone at feed store suggested Cream Legbars….
I’m not looking to avoid purchasing feed by free ranging. I’m just looking for chickens that won’t stick out
(white). Looking for chickens who won’t just stand around waiting to be picked off by hawks, owls, and so on.
Our Isa Brown's have been resilient!!!

I need a bigger coop darn it!
It is a trade off. I've been lucky free ranging so far with the chickens. The Crows have been scaring off the Hawks so that's good. Lost my mother goose to something. We're thinking coyote, neighbors got hit too, but we're thinking eagles in their case, but not sure. Although the neighbors regulate the coyotes, they'll always pass though. I'm hoping to get my fence done this summer and then a couple of dogs.

Back
Top Bottom