Best Breeds for Tropical Climate (Cancun)

HOPEhouse Chicky Ranchero

In the Brooder
Jul 4, 2023
We are opening a Children's Home, HOPEhouse, in Cancun and have inherited a five coop chicken coop. I know absolutely nothing about chickens other than I love eggs so I'm starting from square one.
Night time low would be around 70 and not much higher than 85 and not all that humid.
We don't have access to many fancy breeds though I would love that :)
Thank you for your advice and wisdom.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1680882434549.jpg
    FB_IMG_1680882434549.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 112
That sounds really fun! Ask what people around you keep, that should give you a good starting point. Any breeds or lanraces from your area will also do well in your climate. Lastly, look mostly into straight combed birds with bare legs. Don't limit yourself to only those options though, there are many breeds who are heat tolerant and don't have straight combs. Also, :welcome

Mediterranean breeds would be good.
Leghorns are a common breed with great production and heat tolerance.

If you live in Cancun, have you ever seen occelated turkeys? I’m just curious, since I think they are beautiful.

Since your place is focused on children, and perhaps you plan to involve them (?) I would focus on docile breeds as the #1 priority.

Orpington, Silkies, Ameraucana or Easter Eggers, Jersey Giants, are some of the breeds most commonly recommended for children.
I would not keep any roosters if children are going to be involved in the program. People make that mistake way too often.

So, you said it's a collection of multiple coops? That certainly gives you some options!
If you take some pictures and post them over in the Coops section, knowledgeable people can help you assess them and decide which to use and whether anything needs to be done to them first. That way you know how many you can happily house.

The main consideration for hot climate chicken keeping is their housing, not the breed. I have English Orpington (floofy) in Florida! It works because of tons of ventilation and plentiful shade.

Back
Top Bottom