Rooster breeds

GirlsHuntToo

Professional Chicken Chaser
Jul 18, 2023
The Keystone State
I am thinking of adding a new rooster breed to my flock with my order of baby chicks this year.
Right now I have 3 roosters and 85 hens. They are going to need a little bit of help trying to keep track of the girls and keeping them safe from predators. I find that roosters are important here in my chicken flock because, well for 2 reasons...

1. I have a lot of predators around. Raccoons, coyotes, hawks, and bobcats are huge problems here. My chicken coops are a hop, skip, and a jump from a huge corn field that is about a mile long and predators are just waiting for them to go back there and they get one of my chickens. My Barred Rock rooster Hunter died trying to save Henrietta out there! Poor guy was just trying to do his job!!

2. I love hatching eggs and having baby chicks that are my hens babies - they are sooo cute! And you never know what is going to pop out of that egg!

I am asking 3 things out of a rooster breed - good looks, get protector, and of course non - aggressive. Who wants one of those, right!!??
My excesting roosters are:
Jack - Black Australorp x Rhode Island Red cross
Buddy - Rhode Island Red - Jack's father
Diego - Silver Laced Wyandotte

I would want a new breed!
Any suggestions and advice would be appreciated!
Thank you so much!!

Looks: what do you enjoy looking at? What's your climate like? Good protector: I think your definition of a good protector is a little different than mine. If a male's first instinct after warning the birds (much less before doing so) is to attack the threat instead of finding safe cover, then he can't protect anything because he's well...dead. if it comes to a girl getting grabbed, then we can talk about it, but in my eyes a good flock protector is a male that acts like a sentinel, warning the rest of the group to take cover, not charging at the threat

I am thinking of adding a new rooster breed to my flock with my order of baby chicks this year.
Right now I have 3 roosters and 85 hens. They are going to need a little bit of help trying to keep track of the girls and keeping them safe from predators. I find that roosters are important here in my chicken flock because, well for 2 reasons...

1. I have a lot of predators around. Raccoons, coyotes, hawks, and bobcats are huge problems here. My chicken coops are a hop, skip, and a jump from a huge corn field that is about a mile long and predators are just waiting for them to go back there and they get one of my chickens. My Barred Rock rooster Hunter died trying to save Henrietta out there! Poor guy was just trying to do his job!!

2. I love hatching eggs and having baby chicks that are my hens babies - they are sooo cute! And you never know what is going to pop out of that egg!

I am asking 3 things out of a rooster breed - good looks, get protector, and of course non - aggressive. Who wants one of those, right!!??
My excesting roosters are:
Jack - Black Australorp x Rhode Island Red cross
Buddy - Rhode Island Red - Jack's father
Diego - Silver Laced Wyandotte

I would want a new breed!
Any suggestions and advice would be appreciated!
Thank you so much!!
How much space do you have?

Looks: what do you enjoy looking at? What's your climate like? Good protector: I think your definition of a good protector is a little different than mine. If a male's first instinct after warning the birds (much less before doing so) is to attack the threat instead of finding safe cover, then he can't protect anything because he's well...dead. if it comes to a girl getting grabbed, then we can talk about it, but in my eyes a good flock protector is a male that acts like a sentinel, warning the rest of the group to take cover, not charging at the threat
I completely agree. I want a rooster that will alert the hens of any danger that comes into the yard.
I live in Central Pennsylvania so we do have mild winters and not too hot of summers. We get some snow but only a few inches - normally not feet.

Back
Top Bottom