Rooster aggression by breed - Hatchery stock

Not in this case. I put my 5 older hens in with the Buff when I separated them into 2 flocks. They put him in his place for a while, but over time he just raped them like he does all the other hens. The Austra Roo is scared to death of the older hens and a perfect gentleman but he's only around the older hens about 3-4 hours a day. What I find amazing is how the Austra's hens always free range as a group with a minor few stragglers and the Roo always right there by them. With the Buff, all his hens scatter to the wind and run whenever he comes near. Hence, I believe the reason he now goes after the Austra's hens. I was hoping the Austra Roo would really put him in his place and knock the snot out of him but the Austra Roo just chases him a short distance and then returns to his hens.

Not in this case. I put my 5 older hens in with the Buff when I separated them into 2 flocks. They put him in his place for a while, but over time he just raped them like he does all the other hens. The Austra Roo is scared to death of the older hens and a perfect gentleman but he's only around the older hens about 3-4 hours a day. What I find amazing is how the Austra's hens always free range as a group with a minor few stragglers and the Roo always right there by them. With the Buff, all his hens scatter to the wind and run whenever he comes near. Hence, I believe the reason he now goes after the Austra's hens. I was hoping the Austra Roo would really put him in his place and knock the snot out of him but the Austra Roo just chases him a short distance and then returns to his hens.
Definitely time for some Buff soup!

To specifically get hatchery stock that do not flesh out like breeder stock and are prone to aggression for the sake of sex links seems problematic.

If your intent is to hatch chicks then soon enough you'll learn to identify sex by leg and stance when they are chicks. Just start with good stock. Temperament and fleshing are night and day different.

In my experience, New Hampshire roosters have generally been non human aggressive. This is only in my experience.

I hear good things about Freedom Ranger Hatchery's New Hampshires. They are bred as a meat bird that also lays a decent amount of eggs, so dual purpose optimized for meat. I have some chicks right now, and so far they're growing great. If the roos turn out nice, I'll let y'all know.

I have been keeping chickens for more than 10 years, and I have never had a rooster attack me. But when I gave one of my roosters to my friend, he became aggressive. Therefore, I think that the problem is not in the breeds, but in how you treat the rooster.

Back
Top Bottom