Hatchery stock breeds that go broody

bigz1983

Crowing
7 Years
Aug 9, 2016
Michigan
I'm looking for a breed of chicken that is standard size, lays brown eggs and is clean legged that I can order from one of the big hatcheries like Hoover or Town line that has the tendency to go broody.
No bantams or breeds with leg feathers.
Comb type and color doesn't matter.
Who here has ordered hatchery stock chickens that meet the above criteria that have gone broody for them and what hatchery did you order them from?

I'm looking for a breed of chicken that is standard size, lays brown eggs and is clean legged that I can order from one of the big hatcheries like Hoover or Town line that has the tendency to go broody.
Who here has ordered hatchery stock chickens that meet the above criteria that have gone broody for them and what hatchery did you order them from?
Sussex, Orpington, & Dominique are clean legged breeds that can often go broody. It’s a toss up, no matter what. I had an ISA brown that was hard to break, & they never go broody, so personality & luck play a part.

Pheonix from cackle. But it's very possible they just learned it by living woth my pheonixes I got from a private seller. Same with spitzhaubens from Hoover

I have one Starlight Green Egger that's been broody twice last year, but I broke her. Looks like she's trying again this year. These are not supposed to be broody, I guess it's just her. My BO, prairie bluebells, ISA Browns, golden comet and olive egger haven't been broody once.

I had a Rhode Island Red that went broody a lot. An Australorp also did.
A buff Orpington that never did. A speckled Sussex that never did.
Only had one of each.
We picked them up at a local hatchery called Estes, it’s in Mt. Vernon, MO

Last edited:
Have 3 Buff Orps, 1 RIR, 2 Barr. Rock, 1 Columbian Wyandotte, 1 light brahma, 1 Cuckoo Maran, and a lot of Cochins. All are laying.

The Orps & Cochins are a year old. Not once has my Orps gone broody, but a select few of my Cochins have.
My Columbian Wyandotte, is broody for the 2nd time in a couple months.

Really think it's dependent on the bird. Seems it's the same type Cochins also that keep going broody. My Silver & grey ones. Don't think my black or white has yet.

Buff Orpington from Hoover's/the TSC affiliate. I have had one pullet go broody twice, and she's raising 6 babies she hatched for me right now before her first birthday (May 19th roughly). She has a flockmate who has been faux broody for a month but won't commit to sitting, and six others who are as of yet uninterested. Not the best percentage of broodiness, but it happened early and I'm hopeful a few others may come around eventually.

Our original flock of Buff Orpingtons were a broody bunch. Two of them were very hard to break.

We eventually re-homed one because she would go broody so frequently and quit laying for months. She would eventually lay an egg or two, then go broody again.

Our Easter Eggers and Prairie Bluebell have never gone broody.

Back
Top Bottom