Best Breeds to Sell???

LindseyM12

Songster
11 Years
May 4, 2009
North Carolina
I am wanting to start hatching and selling chicks/chickens/hatching eggs. I need to know the very best selling breeds because I know some people like rare chickens (like me) and some people like the older breeds like BRs and RIRs and so on. I think I'm going to buy feed for a pen of chickens and when I sell them I'll split the cost of all the feed I bought for them and sell them for a little bit more than what it cost to feed them. Do ya'll think that's a good idea? If any one has any tips for selling and getting known by people for selling chickens that would be great! Thanks!!!

Silkies!!! If you have some good quality ones, you can sell CHICKS for 15 dollars each and a dozen eggs from 30 bucks. I couldnt do that around here but I know some breeders do that.

wow that expensive,silkies sell for 3 to 5 bucks here for chicks.I would go with something that looks nice and lays alot of eggs like,anconas,orps,leghorns,wyandottes,or minorcas.

Thanks! Anyone else???
smile.png

I posted an ad on Craigslist for 1 leghorn and 1 GLW. They could be purchased separately or together . . .. Both about 7 months old and laying. They were advertised as "hatchery stock". I was asking $10 each.

Within the first day,

One person offered to take both,
Another person wanted the leghorn only.
Another person wanted the GLW only.

So, no problem getting rid of these breeds.
I was actually a little shocked that somebody wanted the leghorn - - -
They are not sold at most of our feed store - - - so they aren't considered popular enough for them to order them.

Hope this helps . . . .

being from the Carolina's winters are probably mild,but in northern ohio combs can freeze.That means people around here look for small combed chickens,and good foragers.

Quote:
Agree - absolutely and completely.

Plus, something that you find you don't like at all, or come to just downright hate in the end will NOT be worth whatever money you make- if you make any.

You will be subject to the whims of the public.

It also depends on location of course. People around here want egg laying machines not silkies. Even though people around here want a lot of eggs, I still get a lot of people calling me for "this strange looking bird" lol I guess silkies are so rare down here that people like to have a couple.

Quote:
X's 2

The "fad" breed changes with the season. As soon as you get them going they are old news. Just go with a breed or breeds you like and at least you can enjoy them.

If you are looking for a fast turn around, Coronation Sussex would be your best choice, but even then... you can flood your market and you will have a harder and harder time selling.

Back
Top Bottom