best brown egg layer for hot, humid area

opihiman911

Songster
14 Years
Mar 19, 2007
I have raised RIR and production reds for many years now. I live in Hawaii, on the hot dry side of the island, where the we have constant hot, humid weather. Temps are a constant 80-95 degrees with humidity 70-95+%. I have noticed over the years that my egg production get cut in half during the summer months when it is really hot and humid. I normally get 4-5 eggs per week from each hen, summertime it gets cut in half like 1-3 eggs per hen.

I just found out that the state has just allowed every day people to order their own day old chicks from approved hatcheries (only feed stores with special expensive permits used to be able to bring them in).

I am interested in getting some new chicks to replace my older hens who are slowing down. I've looked at black austrolops, being they come from australia (hot), but I'm a little worried about being black in a hot sunny area. Another local farmer has said he has had luck with red sex links. Most of what I've read is concerned with cold weathers and still being productive layers.

The only requirement that my DW has given me is she want her xtra large brown egg layers who will provider a constant prolific supply of eggs. She said is doesn't matter what they look like as long as they giver her large brown eggs (I'm the chicken lover, she is the baker and friendly neighbor).

Any suggestion out there from people who live in hot, sunny areas that are like a sauna??

Aloha,
Cory

Henderson's chart has a column for hardiness and says which breeds are known to be hardy in heat. http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

Although
my winters have occasionally gone as low as -20 degrees, the summers here are also very humid and in the upper 90s. It seems unreasonable, but my husband won't move!
lol.png
Except for a few green egg layers, all my chickens have been heavy breeds that lay brown or tinted eggs, that are considered cold hardy. They seem to do fine in our summers.

Besides choosing breeds that are hardy in heat, you can also look at the things in their environment, that help them when it's hot out. A more open coop, with a lot of ventilation helps. You can use more predator proof wire, like hardware cloth, in your design. Some people add a fan in summer.

We have a lot of deep shade, as we live in a woodland edge. Man-made shade works, too. Lots of fresh cool water is crucial. I'm sure others will chime in with more suggestions for you.

I'm so happy for you, that you get to have different breeds of chickens! It's really great having them around. I think this is one of the nicest forums around in general and the best when it comes to chickens.

Last edited:
i live in hot, humid Louisiana and i have a SLW that lays just about everyday. in the last 26 daysm she's laid 22 eggs. i dont know if that's normal for her breed or not(she's my only one) but i am getting some more if it is

I live in Florida where its hot hot hot and the humidity is terrible. We have 20 chickens and we average 16 eggs a day sometimes more. They are speckeled sussex, sex links, red and black and we have ameracunas. We get mostly large brown eggs. and green eggs. They lay year round. We have a larege fan in the coop and it keeps it cool. I think we do very well for our small flock. Micki

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for the quick replies. I'll do more reading on that link you posted.
I've found a couple other local farmers who have both red and black sex links, so I think I'll add them to the list.
Also what is SLW??.

Aloha,
Cory

Back
Top Bottom